3 wire/2 wire tilt/trim

I am bidding on a used tilt/trim unit on Ebay for my 82 evinrude 115. It says it is a 3 wire. I believe mine to be a two wire. Other than that, it looks exactly the same. Will I be able to use the 3 wire on my boat? I was already planning on replacing the entire electrical box anyway as it is pretty corroded.

MarkV_Deep6

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 3 wire/2 wire tilt/trim

Yes and no, it would be much simpler to use the two wire that is on the one you have now...If the two wire will fit the one you buy on ebay, use it instead. I believe the three wire requires relays due to power needs.

How exactly would I go about changing out the wires? I am new to this. Thanks

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

The three wire motor used one solenoid, similar to a starter solenoid, for "UP" travel. The two wire motor used used smaller relays to power the motor in both the up and down travel. Unless your really good at re-wiring relays, I'd leave the three wire alone and find a good two wire motor. <br /><br />Parts for the two wire motor are available. Is your motor that far gone it can't be repaired?

the whole unit is pretty worn out. The seals leak, it is all original(1982), and it has seen lots of saltwater use. Are you saying that the three wire motor is not capable of powering the motor down, but only up? Thanks

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

the 3 wire uses up and down brush sets, put 12+ on the blue and it goes up,12V on the green and it goes down and the ground is always negative.<br /> the 2 wire is a permmanant magnet the relays will apply 12 to blue and connect green to ground to go up and 12+ on the green and negative on the blue to go down.<br /> both pumps perform the same function the difference is how the pump motor is switched from running CCW to CW for up and down.<br /> the 2 wire is cheaper and easier to manufacture<br /> so its widly used.<br /> if your replacing the relay box its possible to find the old style solinoid box.<br /> however I am with OBJ, its just to easy to buy the correct stuff and fix it as per the service manual

If I win it as the high bidder as it sits now, I will get it for pretty cheap. Could I possibly just buy a replacment motor for the unit I might win that is a 2 wire motor? Thanks

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

Don't think it would work Stu...three wire motors were used on smaller engines up to 50 and 60 horse. Motor mounting is a bit different.

MarkV_Deep6

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have already preformed the change out that you are getting ready to do (Glad it's you and not me again). You can use a two wire motor on the three wire TT unit it will fit and function up to the 300 HP model. I have replaced the TT on my 300 hp engine with a unit that had a three wire motor. The one I got from ebay was internally damaged and had to be rebuilt. The unit functions well now, but will not trim out at high speed. I have to trim it out prior to running at speed I have been told by a parts dept that the two wire motor on my 300 engine is a different part number and needs the different two wire motor to be able to trim at speed. Now that could be BS to sell the parts but it seems that it may be the case. <br /><br /> The other alternative you have not considered is rebuilding the unit you have. If you can get it off without damaging it (Mine had to be cut off as it was saltwater corroded as your is) the parts are fairly inexpensive and the rebuild is not that hard. You'll see after you do the hard part of removing the TT from it's mount.