3 Questions: 1. can you tell if i have a staggered bolt pattern, 2. what type oil

bamafutbal

Petty Officer 1st Class
1. is this a staggered bolt pattern or the straight mount on the starter
2. what type oil filter is this and do i have to use this model (wix) or can i get another kind, couldn't find wix for sale on iboats store (if so what model # filter)
3. identify that part by the oil filter with the purple wires going into it. its appears all rusted out and i want to replace it
thanks
john
1999 blue water monte carlo v8 305 engine # 0L080844 (alpha)
p1040076.jpg

By bamafutbal, shot with DMC-TZ5 at 2009-03-08
p1040075n.jpg

p1040070.jpg

JustJason

Vice Admiral
Re: 3 Questions: 1. can you tell if i have a staggered bolt pattern, 2. what type oi

1. yes its staggered
2. go to a Napa autoparts store. Napa labeled filters are Wix.
3. oil pressure switch... do you have an electric fuel pump?

betayv

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: 3 Questions: 1. can you tell if i have a staggered bolt pattern, 2. what type oi

hi there that is a NAPA # 1069 napa gold and check the starter with this people they have good prices and new stuff http://spidermarine.com/

bamafutbal

Petty Officer 1st Class

i have a carb's model. so should i replace the switch beside the oil filter?
p1010787tf8.jpg

By null, shot with DMC-TZ1 at 2008-01-03

JustJason

Vice Admiral

doesn't matter if you have a carb or not.... Do you have an electric fuel pump?
If you do, and the pump works... then leave the switch. If you do, and the pump isn't working, replace the switch.
If you don't have an electric fuel pump... well then it really doesn't matter.

bamafutbal

Petty Officer 1st Class

no idea if i have an electric fuel pump, i am just wanting to have a little preventive maintenance.

chiefalen

Captain

I use DBelectrical.com for starters and alternators, he is on e-bay and has the best prices. Lost count of how many different things i bought from him and has great service. Me i would send him a email or go to e-bay and order one from him comes with new bolts.

The other parts you want to replace can be ordered from this website, or :

http://www.crowleymarine.com/brp_parts/7087.cfm

http://amarket.com/omct.htm

Just 2 of the many, many places to order from, crowly has OEM and Don s posted that website and i like it alot for the diagrams.

Good luck !

Bondo

Staff member

no idea if i have an electric fuel pump, i am just wanting to have a little preventive maintenance.

Ayuh,...

Go ahead and swap out the switch,...
If you have the switch, it's a pretty solid Bet that you have the electric fuelpump....

betayv

Senior Chief Petty Officer

the switch in the pic if for the oil pressure? what have to do this switch with the fuel pump? Im sorry but I have to ask thanks guys!!!

bamafutbal

Petty Officer 1st Class

so starting over, what is that little rusted out switch with the purple wires going into it? want a little preventive maintenance since my head and hand will be down there changing the WIX oil filter

captk

Petty Officer 1st Class

The switch is for the warning horn.

Bondo

Staff member

so starting over, what is that little rusted out switch with the purple wires going into it?

Ayuh,... It's Still an Oil Pressure Switch....

180shabah

Rear Admiral

The oil pressure switch is for the electric fuel pump. With the key in the run position, power is routed through the switch. No oil pressure, no fuel pump.

It is a safety feature and is USCG required.

captk

Petty Officer 1st Class

no electric fuel pump on that engine

bamafutbal

Petty Officer 1st Class

and the consensus is....

JustJason

Vice Admiral

The oil pressure switch is for the electric fuel pump. With the key in the run position, power is routed through the switch. No oil pressure, no fuel pump.

It is a safety feature and is USCG required.

Winner winner chicken dinner!!!!

no electric fuel pump on that engine

Bonk again......

According to the serial ## it should have an electric fuel pump.
In fact its part number 861155A3

180shabah

Rear Admiral

Yup - the purple/yellow wires cary 12v+ to the fuel pump.
If it was audio warning system the wires would be tan/blue.

Can I get extra skin on my chicken???

chiefalen

Captain

So it goes like this when you turn the key and start the boat the switch with read is you have oil pressure no oil pressure within 3-5 seconds it shuts off the fuel pump.

So if it runs ok starts ok then you really don't have to mess with it.

Me if the starter just looks rusted i would paint it, if it starts ok runs ok then why mess with anything, till you break something.

I don't know if it runs ok starts ok or whats what just a little advice that you didn't ask for.

bamafutbal

Petty Officer 1st Class

went to my local boat stealership today and ordered oil pressure switch (87-86425A01) and the black thing besdie it is a sender (#87-815425T). as far as the starter goes it has a staggered bolt pattern and will probably get the arco starter for $180:mad:, have not been able to find it cheaper