Dizz

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I’ve had this JW15 for 10 years
bought it used across country on Craig’s List
I went thru it checked point,cleaned carb as was checking impeller
fella told me he recently had New impeller
guy told me it was replaced It looked decent
I also asked about compression he said 100psi both cylinders
I got 60.It started easily and ran smoothly.
I put it on a 1236 Jon with 2 people it struggled to make 2 mph GPS.I noticed testing in barrel the meager water mist coming out of discharge on lower unit and how hot water was.Much research showed this as normal.It also really sucked the gas had to refill to make 2 miles.
I put it up then and hasn’t been used since but I do turn motor over slightly to keep it from getting stuck pistons as well as put bit of oil in spark plug holes
I recently had time on my hands and discovered water passage tend to clog
I pulled head off and exhaust cover.All passages were 80% clogged.I noticed cylinders had a big of scuffling marks longways up walls.Rings were visible and not stuck.I cleaned all water passages.Took emery to cylinder walls best I could,Sanded head on glass as well as top of block added new gaskets to head and exhaust cover but not where lower unit attaches.Again it started right up with seemingly more water flow but still seemed to hot to me I couldn’t touch head but moment.Took that large flat head screw out from where lower unit attaches to upper.Had great water flow shooting out while running in barrel.
put it
on boat yesterday started easily.Seemed to have way more speed(1543 Tracker Jon 17” transom)so I came back to bank got my fishing stuff to give it workout.Raised motor up
When I came back gas war running out front of motor and was flooded
Didn’t want to start so I threw my 15HP 2 stroke on a fished rest day
Today I put it in barrel and fired right up wide open no choke so cleared gas.Let it run 1/2 hour.Stopped it a few times and it started easily.Raised it again with gas
om and same flooded issue so maybe gas must be turned off to raise. I was not paying enough attention later but barrel was full with water hose running motor was mid throttle in start position any faster and throws too much water. I heard something and looked motor was cooking paint smoking.It locked up maybe but time I got ther it died.I let I’d cool bit I pulled rope and it was not locked up.
later I took cowl off to drain gas from carb.
I did not have time to tear it down but I did take that big flathead head screw out again and noticed it was just snug and 60 wold gasket on screw was broke
I guess impeller could have failed
Dont know if pistons are junk they were questionable already. I was able to find standard size pistons with rings but no .030 oversized
sorry be so long winded but I feel what little history I have is important.
Water barrel was full but I’ve heard some motors need be on moving boat but didn’t think this one.I could have missed a main water passage but I really looked and thought I had it
Appreciate any thoughts on this
It
may me scrap now but seems have decent compression pulling rope have not tried restart it
Thanks

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
If a salt water motor, the water passages probably need to be cleaned -- head removed, use thin blade (hacksaw blade works) to clean around cylinders. Afterwards, run it in a barrel with salt-away while monitoring temp.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Install factory new impeller and test run.------Water mists out of small holes on exhaust housing.-----Scored cylinders means that motor must come apart for repairs.----Lots of these fine motors were made.---Lots of good used parts available if you look.

Crosbyman

Vice Admiral
seeaomci site for hot JW.... they run hot in a tub if rpms are to high ...to much water turbulence impairs cooling

Dizz

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Old oat I did spend a long time cleaning water passages with head and exhaust plate off possible I missed something
Race it did have a lot of hot mist coming out that vent screw deal.If cylinders are scored wouldn’t you have to bore .030” over?The vertical score marks could be felt with fingernail but not very deep.
Crosby don’t follow you on seeaomci?
I get what your saying about turbulence
Motor came from Utah so salt water not likely

racerone

Supreme Mariner
You can find good parts motors for $50.-------Makes no sense to spend $400 for new pistons / rings / machine work !!----Have picked them up in exchange for a box of cold ones myself !

Crosbyman

Vice Admiral
back from cottage....

on the AOMCI site "ask a member" forum there are topics covering hot JWs if you search ..