3 HP Johnson ..What year ?

Bought this at a Flea market ; don't know what year it is. Number on silver plug in block is E2944267 .
I need starter recoil mechanism for side of engine.
Any help will be appreciated. Thanks Charlie

Attachments

• photo305198.jpg
    photo305198.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 0
  • photo305199.jpg
    photo305199.jpg
    109.5 KB · Views: 0

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Wrap a rope around the flywheel and see if it will start / run.--------Look for a recoil on E-bay.-----Will need an impeller for cooling.-----May need new coils as well.

It fires on bottom cylinder. I found a new tune up kit ; but haven't installed it yet, Hope it is just a condenser. The recoil unit is completely missing from side. Haven't seen one yet on Ebay ; but I'll keep looking. Taking top off every time I start will be a pain. Thanks for info...Charlie

lindy46

Captain
Go to AOMCI.org and post a free want-ad in the classified section. Someone there may have one.

I bought a new coil. It is a Sierra 18-5181. It is similar to my old coil and it bolts up but ; it hits inside of flywheel to the point that the flywheel will not turn past it !
Ideas ??? Thanks Charlie
New coil on right.

Attachments

• photo305680.jpg
    photo305680.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 0

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Coils must be adjusted for clearance with flywheel.------Perhaps a drill through the holes for 0.010" more movement will do the trick.-----Lots of tutorials on that ----universal magneto-----If you search that.

Thanks for the info. I bought from a local indy and really paid up for it. I will try to over size holes and see if that works. I have adjusted it as far back as possible to no avail. I also wondered about air gap from coil to flywheel ? I see no way to set that. Charlie

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Well----There is a special factory tool for that.---I have one too.-----Merely a metal ring ( dummy flywheel ) so to speak.------Tutorials will teach you.------Or see the posts where the coil sits on ?----Just back the coil away to sit just above / clear the edge of the wee bevel at the top.

Crosbyman

Vice Admiral
do not grind the coils down just drill or use a round metal file to expand the holes toward the outer edge….

if you paid to much and have a bill take it back to the store … tell him they don't fit (out of spec if they measure different from yours)

order the cheap ones ...as you see fit …. keep your rubber booths cheapy coils do not come with rubber booths

coils must simply line up with the base guides

go see leroys page ....and pictures down a few pages for like up picture

http://www.outboard-boat-motor-repair.com/Evinrude%203%20HP%20Lightwin%20Outboard%20Boat%20Motor/Evinrude%20Johnson%203%20HP%201952-1967%20Ignition%20System%20Tune-up.htm

I filed down leading edges and mounting holes. I got coil to fit and now it fires ; nice blue spark. Checked compression and only 60 lbs. on top and 75 lbs. on bottom...Seems low to me but I don't have a reference . Also I am not familiar with Leroy's page ; how do I get there ? Thanks Charlie

Crosbyman

Vice Admiral
they are good little motors I know compression is critical especially variations of compression between cyl. but...

you could pull the cyl head and inspect the gasket it will give you a chance to check out the cyl walls but….

before you do all that ….

try running some decarb like Mercury power tune. follow instruction and… do try out the kicker for a good run maybe things will shape up. remeasure compression after to see if improved .

if not it may still be ..good enough for trolling.

on the next one you buy… bring a compression meter :)

http://www.leeroysramblings.com/OMC_info/OMCinfo.htm

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
Just for future reference --

On coil fit, the laminated edge must be absolutely flush with the flat machined edge of the mounting post. When I've had trouble getting it flush, it was because the plug wire was not fully fit in place. Wires should be set from the underside with the mag plate removed, but adjustments can be made by taking out the coil mounting screws and twisting the coil onto the wire end -- then retry mounting the coil. If it's mounted flush on the posts, you will have the right air gap.