3 button trim switch : In / down bypassed?

Bounce19712

Petty Officer 2nd Class
hello all,

I've got a new (to me) 1982 mercruiser 330 trs.

My trim In/down button has been bypassed it looks like...

green and reds go to the top button and purple blue go to the middle button... is this now up and down?

my outdrive is all the way up...both up buttons work. (makes pump work) IN is dead...not even connected.... the purple wire was at one time attached to IN...and has been snipped and wired to the middle button... here's picture:

so if all is functional....I'll need to have someone look at the drive as I try the middle button to see if it is actually trim down?

thanks..
trimswitch2.jpg

trimswitch.jpg

Bounce19712

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 3 button trim switch : In / down bypassed?

Yes it is! I stood on the dash and touched the middle button with my toe and watched the outdrive go down..... trouble was the pump sounded bad initially like it was trying to go up against the stops...but it hummed normally after the drive came down a few inches...

thanks all for your viewing. false alarm....

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

That wiring is all messed up. Here is a link to the OEM service manual for your drive. Service Manual #5
Go to page 5B-7, there is a wiring diagram that shows how that switch should be wired, then you can see what has actually been done to your switch. Check the switches to, they may be ok and the previous owner bypassed the trim limit switch, which is located on the drive, to make it work using a single button.

Bounce19712

Petty Officer 2nd Class

thanks so much.

I would like to bring it back to all 3 buttons unless it's better to have this way for Lake Powell ? it does work right now however. (top button : all the way up, middle button: all the way down)

would wiring for single button push make it faster in the trim mode? as fast as the trailer up and out mode? I know it supposed to go slower in the trim mode. (but I'll have to get the wife to push the button I guess)

I've cycled the outdrive up and down a couple times....may have air in the line; and the resivoir is over max fill line when trimmed completey down...( so I measure with outdrive completely up right?)

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

There is no difference in speed between trim and tilt. That is an outboard thing due to design of the trim/tilt mechanism.
The manual should tell you how to measure trim fluid. It depends on which pump you have.

Bounce19712

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I will look at my trim pump and verify wires colors are not "re-rigged" on that end as well....

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

Should you desire to keep that type of button arrangement if your buttons are bad, PM me . not much to re-rig at the pump.
might just be the trim limt switch was by-passed at the helm unit and not at the pump side.

cr2k

Captain

Trim limit switch is on the gimbal ring not the pump.

You should have the Trim Limit working so you don't over trim your drive and cause damage to the Gimbal Bearing or U-Joints.

Your pump will sound different in Down then up as yours has NO relay for down (low amp draw) only up with the higher load.