3 Batts on a Dual Bank Charger

dave524

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hello to all. Not being that savy with DC electric, I hooked up my dual bank charger to my 3 battery system in my boat. I connected the starting leads to the starting battery, and the "trolling system" leads to my 2 deep cycle batts for my trolling motor that I have wired together, but only for 12 volts, not 24. My question is is this safe ? The charger sems to be working fine, but I want to hear from you experts ( only because you are very good at what you do ) and see if this is ok, or if I should do something else. Thanks in advance for the help as usual. Have a great day on the lake !!! Dave.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: 3 Batts on a Dual Bank Charger

If the troller batteries are indeed wired in parallel and are being fed from one output that is an OK setup. Keep in mind those two batteries take twice as long to charge as it would if each was on its own output.

Splat

Lieutenant
Re: 3 Batts on a Dual Bank Charger

Yea your ok if they are wired in paralle. As stated before they will just take longer to charge that's all.

How many amps per bank is your charger. Setup up like this I would be at a minimum of 15a per bank. Less will still do the trick just take longer.

Which charger did you end up with?

Also a side note your charger will monitor each bank independently so it's ok if the one bank takes twice as long. The charger will shut down the starting bank when it's full and continue to charge the other until it's done.

Bill