3.8 229 v-6 no high rps

Jeredk

Recruit
I have a 1984 mark twain with a omc 3.8 v-6. I just replaced the engine because of a cracked block and now I cant get any upper rpm's from the motor. I never had a chance to try the old motor either to compare. I can barely get it up to 2800.<br />I have new plugs, wires, cap, rotor, points, condensor, coil, and have double checked everything. Compression is good, dwell is good. Timing is on and is advancing. Vacume is fine, no leaks. I am still young but I am pretty damn sure everything is fine that I have done so far. All tune-up specs were followed from book. I also rebulit the carb. I am just out of ideas. It seems like an ingnition or wiring problem to me. Any help is appreciated

Jeredk

Recruit
Re: 3.8 229 v-6 no high rps

also the engine starts fine and revs fine up to 2500 or so but it just doesnt want to go anymore than that. It sounds like it wants to, but it just wont.

Re: 3.8 229 v-6 no high rps

I have a very similar problem. What did you set the float height to? I had mine at some wierd setting like it said in the rebuild kit but the OMC service manual shows 1/2 inch and 1 3/4 inch drop. You might want to try that.