3.5 out of 4 started

tomhath

Master Chief Petty Officer
Thread starter
Joined
Dec 5, 2007
Messages
814
I picked up a few older outboards this fall for no particular reason, just thought they would be fun to try. Today was finally warm enough here in PA to fill a trash can and see what I have.

First up was a McCulloch 7.5hp made in 1968, I picked it up at an auction for $65. It had a good spark and I already overhauled the carb, fuel pump, and water pump so I expected this one to run, which it does. Nice little motor with Forward/Neutral/Reverse and idles smooth. It's sucking air into the fuel line though, I think at the connection to the motor; it's a small Mercury connector but it doesn't seal very well. Maybe a little grease? Any other suggestions?

Next was a 4hp Johnson from 1976 I bought off Craigslist for $250. Wanted to use this one as a long-term trolling and backup motor. Seller swore it ran great, etc. Just wouldn't start, had an occasional puff of smoke but nothing else. On close examination I saw that the spark plug wires were switched - even though one of them has a metal tag clearly marked "up". Swapped them and the motor started right up and runs fine. No transmission though, starts in gear and off you go.

Third was a 9.9 Johnson from 1981 - another auction buy at $125. Appearance wise it's very nice, took a few pulls and smoked a bit at first but was clearing up when I noticed it wasn't pumping any water. This one will have to wait until I get the water pump fixed to try again.

Last was a 9.9 Evinrude from 1974 that the seller said has the 15hp carburetor, it also has an 11" pitch propeller (the Johnson has a 10"). I bought it because it has a tiller but it's also set up for remotes, so plenty of options to play with. Seller was asking $400 but he tossed in a couple of Eska air cooled motors as part of the deal (those run too, tried them out earlier - weedwhacker motors). The Evinrude just didn't want to start until I twisted the throttle past Start and well beyond Fast; I guess the markings are just a suggestion because it runs fine, just a quarter turn off the marks. The tiller doesn't look like it's been rotated out of place but I'll examine it again. Any suggestions on what to look for? Maybe a spot of nail polish that lines up with the other marks and call it good.

Overall I'm pretty happy. All run good; McCulloch and 9.9 Johnson just needed some routine maintenance. Now the long wait until Spring.
 

JoLin

Vice Admiral
Joined
Aug 18, 2007
Messages
5,146
Re: 3.5 out of 4 started

Man, where the heck do you live? Deals like that are impossible to find in my area. Congrats!
 

tomhath

Master Chief Petty Officer
Thread starter
Joined
Dec 5, 2007
Messages
814
Re: 3.5 out of 4 started

Man, where the heck do you live? Deals like that are impossible to find in my area. Congrats!

One of the nicer lakes around here used to have a 10hp limit, so the 9.9s were pretty popular. A few years ago they raised it to 20hp. Maybe that's why I'm seeing the smaller motors?

PA*DCNR*-*Prince Gallitzin State Park
 

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Joined
Apr 26, 2002
Messages
19,069
Re: 3.5 out of 4 started

Don't worry about the throttle position indicator they are really just a reference point.
I suppose someone might have had it apart and misaligned the teeth.Just be sure the throttle opens all the way.
 
Top