3.5 hard drive

alldodge

Staff member
The home computer went died really quick. Need to power up the serial ATA western digital 320GB drive (BTW this is a RAID 0 so 2 drives). I connected my USB hard drive adapter to the drive and it would not spin up. My guess is the USB does not output enough power to turn the drive on. Worst case is their both toast

What I used to try is one of these
https://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com...bcc17&pd_rd_wg=GjG1w&pd_rd_i=B00HJZJI84&psc=1

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Pretty sure USB doesn’t power the drive. Data only.

I had to use a pigtail power adapter to dump my old laptop data to a new SATA drive

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Yes, I have a drive reading kit I got off ebay and it came with a power source to plug in look at ebay for this "SATA PATA IDE Drive to USB 2.0 Power AC External with 3.5" 2.5" HDD"

matt167

Captain
USB can power a 2.5" drive, but a 3.5" drive will require external power. A cheap 3.5" usb enclosure will work

alldodge

Staff member
I've got the shop desk top with SATA. Pulled the data cable and the power adapter out of the home puter. Will go to it and see about getting the 3 files I need

Go figure, I have a RAID 0 setup and a auto backup. My mistake was putting those 3 files on the desktop and not on the documents folder. There was an error in the desktop, and no issue with the documents side

Live and learn