3.0 Volvo penta head gasket removal

Usaf327

Recruit
Hey guys, so after running a compression test I've decided I have a blown head gasket and I'm wanting to replace it. I have a 1999 caravelle with a 3.0 Volvo penta motor but I'm not exactly sure how to remove the bead off with the exaughst and muffler and all. I was wondering if some one knew of a forum that would explain the process of removing the head on the motor or if someone might be able to explain it to me? Thank you in advance

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 3.0 Volvo penta head gasket removal

You have to remove the exhaust/intake manifold first. Just like any engine.
Here is the Service Manual you can download, it will detail the procedure.

Whfd74

Cadet

Don't know if you have take the head off yet I have some first hand knowledge. I am in the process of doing the same thing right now and the if you have an exhaust like I do the book is wrong. I have the exhaust and intake combo. It has five bolts, Three long bolts and two studs one of which holds the altenator braket. My exhaust pipe(that leads out of the engine bay, not the riser off the engine) sets to close to the manifold to be able to remove the stud. In order to remove the manifold I had to remove the head with the manifold attached and then slide the manifold off. To replace it I will have to just reverse this process. I hope this saves you the frustation that I went through trying to get this off. Also be careful because together this beast is heavy so if you have a high point to pull the head up from it is a big help.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to iboats wakedreams, if you have a question, start a new thread and ask it. Give your information about your engine and what you want to know.

The original poster has not returned since his original post.