3.0 Mercruiser dumping water

Silver30

Recruit
Hello I have not performed a lot of maintenance on this boat it is fairly new to me. I have a 1980 Silverline with a 3.0 mercruiser, the motor starts and runs and maintains a good temp but is dumping water into the stern of the boat under the motor. It is dumping out of the drain where the motor and outer unit bolt together. Any suggestions on where to start would be great. This is the first attempt of the season to get running.

Thanks

Bondo

Staff member
Re: 3.0 Mercruiser dumping water

Hello I have not performed a lot of maintenance on this boat it is fairly new to me. I have a 1980 Silverline with a 3.0 mercruiser, the motor starts and runs and maintains a good temp but is dumping water into the stern of the boat under the motor. It is dumping out of the drain where the motor and outer unit bolt together. Any suggestions on where to start would be great. This is the first attempt of the season to get running.

Thanks

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,.... My guess is, yer experiencin' the results of a Failed Winterization...

There's a core plug or 2 under the flywheel that probably popped out, from ice expansion....

Pull the drive, then the motor to get at 'em...

scottn83

Petty Officer 2nd Class

you may have this problem to. Due to no water going out the exhaust. I had the same problem with a boat i bought last yr. I think its called a water pick up tube(correct me if i am wrong). It runs between the lower and up unit. Its suppose to be a tube and about 3 or 4 in long
022.jpg

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

I think its called a water pick up tube(correct me if i am wrong).

Well, I don't know its technical name, but it actually doesn't have anything to do with the water pick up. Its only purpose is to help guide the copper tube into the water pump during installation. After the copper tube is installed it has served its purpose. The fact that it melted is not good of course and does indicate a lack of water flowing... but that happened as a result not a cause.