28hp johnson, what years?

BF

Lieutenant
I've got a call in to a local guy who's advertising a 28 hp johnson for sale... He doesn't list the year, but 28's were made in the 60's (the kind with the cowl that sorta looks like it has fins), and again later in the 80's/90's ... right?? <br /><br />I'm don't particularly mind old, but I'd take it that the old ones would have a fairly low voltage ignition system, (points etc) do they troll OK? or do they tend to idle roughish and foul plugs, even when they're in decent mechanical shape? Are parts readily available for the vintage variety?<br /><br />Thanks...<br /><br />Brent

Paul Moir

Admiral
Re: 28hp johnson, what years?

BF - 28hps were made from '62 to '64, and again (of course a different engine altogether) from '86 to '96.<br /><br />I have one of the '60s 28hp. They don't troll well mostly because they lack a thermostat, so the engine naturally runs cold at idle. The biggest problem with them is that they are a little portly for a 28hp at 130+lbs. But you can't have mine for any price! :) <br /><br />All consumable and some internal parts are easily purchased. For example, you can replace the whole ignition system for under $100CDN. <br />You can rig up an electric starter to them very easily if you want to. The 40hp starter is a bolt on. But that's a luxury. Unfortunetly, the engine doesn't have compression relief, so it's a little hard to pull over. <br />They share a lot of drivetrain parts with their 40hp older brother, so they're very rugged.<br /><br />PS - you can determine the year by looking: If the fuel pump has 3 hoses and a glass bowl on it, your not looking at a '64. The '62 has a black painted metal carb faceplate, while the '63 and '64 have a white (now yellowed) plastic one.<br /><br />I hope this helps, even though it's coming from a fanatic. Feel free to ask anything about it!

BF

Lieutenant
Re: 28hp johnson, what years?

thanks Paul...<br /><br />When I was a kid we had one of the 40 hp's of that style, so at least a bit familiar with the style... thanks for the info. I may have more Q's (but he seems not to wanna return my calls, so who knows).<br /><br />Brent