285 steering issue

estame6

Petty Officer 2nd Class
1991 Four Winns 285 twin Cobra. I am new to this boat and the previous owner had underwater collision with a log and the outdrives were replaced. The story goes that they could not find a left rotation and ended up installing two right hand rotation units. They both run fine but the vessel steers like it has a mind of it's own, putting it politely. Wondering if the alignment is different when running two with the same rotation? There is very little play and will steer fine for few seconds and takes off either one way or the other and have to continually correct. Any pointers or suggestions would be appreciated.

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... Does it do this at all speeds, or just at displacement speeds,..??

estame6

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Does it at all speeds. My feeling is that it's in the steering play and not quite sure how to check it out.

Bondo

Staff member
Does it at all speeds. My feeling is that it's in the steering play and not quite sure how to check it out.
Ayuh,.... To check for steerin' slop, it takes 3 people,.....
One at the steerin' wheel, one at the drives, 'n one to crawl into the bilge to observe the slop,......
1st, the wheel is shaken, while the drives are held firmly, then the wheel is held, while the drives are shaken,.....
That should make it possible to see the slop at various connection points at the transom,....