280 U Joint replacement project (advise ?)

medic 1

Recruit
Is my u-joint supposed to look like this?

Just kidding. Discovered this ugly beast while seperating drive (280) from engine (AQ120). I have a replacement engine (250a), so I'm not too concerned about that side of the equation. Obviously I'm replacing the entire u-joint assembly. Can you guys offer some advise on the job?

1)How to remove U-joint from upper gear box?
2)Any upper gear box seals to inspect/replace (new bellows of course)?
3)When shopping for replacement u-joints should I look at "fine" or "course" spline? It will be mating with a Volvo Penta 250a (AQ 151)

Thanks (I did pour over the archives. Trying not to waste anyone's time here)

Attachments

• U joint.jpg
    U joint.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 0

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 280 U Joint replacement project (advise ?)

Here is a link to the service manual for the 280. http://www.4shared.com/office/R-C91eXm/280_to_DP-C_Drive_manual.html?

You only need to use the sections of the manual for the double bearing box, no need to completely disassemble the compete upper.
It will probably be necessary to remove the top cover, just to relieve pressure to remove the double bearing box. It's a tight fit.
A propane torch used to warm up around the housing where the bearing box fits in helps to.

That special tool to hold it in the vise, can be made with a piece of angle iron and an old coupler that goes between the upper and intermediate housing.

medic 1

Recruit
Re: 280 U Joint replacement project (advise ?)

Thanks for the link.

I'm thinking that at the very least I'll need to replace the seal between the aft end of the U-joint and the fore end of the "Double bearing box". Will I end up needing to purchase one of the rebuild seal/gasket/o-ring sets, or only a few specific items?

And I see lots of reference to "shims" but I'm not sure what I'm actually looking for.

Thanks