26 ft cr251 Members First Post

Fanautical

Cadet
Greetings fellow Starcrafters. I've been a member for a few years now but have never posted. I have had 7 Starcraft boats over the years, from 14 to 26 feet. Currently I have 2, a '76 SS 18 foot and the CR251, which is a project boat. I've removed all the plywood and am replacing it with marine aluminum, the idea being a light-weight, easy to tow and launch weekender. So far I've removed almost a 1000 lbs of wood, and am building an all aluminum 350 to push it. When all is done it should weigh 2900 lbs be economical, comfortable, and versatile. I realise how immense this project is, but I have done most of these modifications to other boats( just not this large) with great results. Two things I have yet figure out. How to build an all aluminum transom, which may not be feasible, and a ballast system to smooth out the ride in the rough. Starcraft owners are the most knowledgable about their boats, so I'm hoping to score some tips. Does anyone have info on the CR251 or CR261? I hope to post pictures soon.

Huron Angler

Admiral
Re: 26 ft cr251 Members First Post

Welcome to the starcraft forum fanautical:)

We love our SC's and you are among friends. Not sure what the CR 251/261 boats are? I did a google search and didn't get anything. I have a 16' SS and I love it, can't wait to get it back on the water this spring.

Sounds like an ambitious project you are working on, looking forward to seeing the photos.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Welcome and I also have not heard of the cr. Looking forward to the pics. Where are you located? You should update your profile with that info as us SC guys like to see where everyone is from.

Fanautical

Cadet

The CR251 and 261 were cabin cruisers built on the 26 foot islander hull. As far as I know they were only built in 1982(251) and 1983(261). For the most part they are identical. Guess they weren't popular, but I've always wanted one.

Fanautical

Cadet

I'm from Ontario Canada, in between Lake Ontario and Lake Erie. Some of the best fresh water fishing and boating I've ever seen!

Huron Angler

Admiral

The CR251 and 261 were cabin cruisers built on the 26 foot islander hull. As far as I know they were only built in 1982(251) and 1983(261). For the most part they are identical. Guess they weren't popular, but I've always wanted one.

OK I am seriously intrigued by this boat now:D Islanders have been my favorite boats for many years and I've always wanted one too(I lack proper storage currently so I got the biggest starcraft aluminum hull that would fit in my little garage).

Didn't know they had any special editions out from the early 80s, that is super cool.:cool:

Get set up with a photobucket account and post some photos of this gem:D

Fanautical

Cadet

OK I am seriously intrigued by this boat now:D Islanders have been my favorite boats for many years and I've always wanted one too(I lack proper storage currently so I got the biggest starcraft aluminum hull that would fit in my little garage).

Didn't know they had any special editions out from the early 80s, that is super cool.:cool:

Get set up with a photobucket account and post some photos of this gem:D

I'm still getting the hang of all this and I'm fairly computer illiterate. I have pictures but I still have to figure out how to attach them. I'll have to ask my daughter. I've only seen 2 CRs and I bought one of them, cooked engine, rotten transom, leaky windows and all. LOL. The hull was mint so it was worth it to rebuild. I hope my ambition doesn't exceed my limited intellect. On an interesting note, the ceiling inside the cabin has no supports just a foam sandwich. Amazing how strong it was.

Huron Angler

Admiral

I hope my ambition doesn't exceed my limited intellect.

I haven't let that stop me yet either;) You will fit right in with our little Starcraft club on this site. We love taking old aluminum hulls, dusting them off and splashing them with renewed life(and sometimes new motors:D)

To post photos you can first save them to a site like photobucket or flickr and then copy and paste the image code into the iboats text box.

Then the pics will show directly in the thread already to size(keep them smaller than the screen 640x480 I believe is the max). The iboats attachment for photos doesn't allow for large images so this is the best way to go.

Good luck with the rig!

Fanautical

Cadet

I hope this loads. These are my boats although the cr256 is just a picture I found it is the same boat.

Attachments

• grand river ss18.jpg
    grand river ss18.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 3
  • starcraft 26 cr 261.jpg
    starcraft 26 cr 261.jpg
    9.2 KB · Views: 3

Huron Angler

Admiral

Nice boats ya got there...welcome to the Starcraft club.:D

That islander is a nice hull to work with, those aft curtains almost make it a live-aboard vessel:)

That '76 SS is identical to Ezmobee's, I guess that is your dingy:p

GLG fishing

Chief Petty Officer

I am in the process of lending a hand on a transom replacement on an 18? starcraft closed bow. I have been thinking about how a person could do one in aluminum. The way I see it you could take a sheet of plate and trace out from your pattern. Weld tube stock all around it and add stiffeners and cross bracing. You could then take another sheet of plate and weld that to the rest and have a transom that would never rot. Some potential problems to this idea would be cost and will the welding distort the metal and cause more problems then it solves. Out here we have lots of shops that could do something like this but where you are it might be hard to find a good shop that could create your transom.
GLG
transom.jpg

Pardon my complete lack of skill in this crude drawing.

Fanautical

Cadet

Thanks guys, this is the owners group to be part of! I like the idea for the aluminum transom. I was thinking along those lines, but I'm not sure about the stress calculations. Do you know how to vector the forces on the transom? I think the outdrive exerts on the transom and the engine stringers but the bending moment is almost entirely on the transom(Mercruiser I/O). The movements are tiny but important. Sure would be nice to have a Starcraft engineer on this board!

elkhunter338

Master Chief Petty Officer

The 25 or 26 is one of my dream boats. I have 86 cheiftain, like a islander. I have rebuilt most of the wood in the boat and have a couple of tips I found out that would have done different. I basically rebuilt the boat before I found iboats and the starcraft crew.
I run my boat in salt water so corrosion is an issue. What I found is when you put alum. to wood with some moisture and salt the alum. gets pits. I would recommend primer/painting all the alum.
I like the idea of the alum transom, but for simplicity and it will last your life I would go back with marine plywood. I would paint the alum transom on the inside, use I think cps on the transom as primer, paint the transom. Then seal the edges of the transom with caulking, seal the top of the transom with more calking. Make it water proof so no rain leaks in from the top. seal around all the bolts real well with some good marine caulk and it should last a very very long time. I use vulkum caulking in a lot of cases, it takes along time to cure, but it seems to hold up real well. I have some that have been exposed to the elements for 4 years and it is still good.
Balast the only thing that comes to mind is a below the floor fuel tank or tanks that you can pump water in and out of for extra weight in rough weather. These come in plastic so no rust.
Also I donot know where your fuel tanks or tank is but I would recommend a below the floor tank.
Good luck and keep us up todate. You are going to get alot of good advise and probably be able to take the best of the best and rebuild your boat better than new.
I would also of probably coated the inside of my hull with a product called gluv-it when I had the floor up, but I discover that afterwards a few years after the fact. But that stuff is not cheap.
You talked about an all alum. chevy 350 block and everything.
Have you considered a aux. motor for safety or twin main motors. I assume cost is a factor like most of us.
If not merc. makes a 250hp diesel outdrive that weight is less than 700lbs. Outdrive/engine is listed at $17,000.
Or twin 140hp merc. outdrives,
Or twin e-tec's on an outboard bracket.

Pugetsound

Lieutenant Commander

If I had that boat I would go with a fabricated stern bracket and two O/B You could however buy a farm in Indiana for what a 115 or 150 e-tec would cost about 16 K each and 500 or so for the bracket.

Last edited:

dozerII

Admiral

Those are nice looking boats, That is a big project to take on. This forum is great and full of helpful people. I stillclass myself as newbie here I am just about finished my rebuild, but have never had the boat in the water or never even been in a Starcraft, so I am not qaulified to give advice. come on spring.
Glen

Fanautical

Cadet

The 25 or 26 is one of my dream boats. I have 86 cheiftain, like a islander. I have rebuilt most of the wood in the boat and have a couple of tips I found out that would have done different. I basically rebuilt the boat before I found iboats and the starcraft crew.
I run my boat in salt water so corrosion is an issue. What I found is when you put alum. to wood with some moisture and salt the alum. gets pits. I would recommend primer/painting all the alum.
I like the idea of the alum transom, but for simplicity and it will last your life I would go back with marine plywood. I would paint the alum transom on the inside, use I think cps on the transom as primer, paint the transom. Then seal the edges of the transom with caulking, seal the top of the transom with more calking. Make it water proof so no rain leaks in from the top. seal around all the bolts real well with some good marine caulk and it should last a very very long time. I use vulkum caulking in a lot of cases, it takes along time to cure, but it seems to hold up real well. I have some that have been exposed to the elements for 4 years and it is still good.
Balast the only thing that comes to mind is a below the floor fuel tank or tanks that you can pump water in and out of for extra weight in rough weather. These come in plastic so no rust.
Also I donot know where your fuel tanks or tank is but I would recommend a below the floor tank.
Good luck and keep us up todate. You are going to get alot of good advise and probably be able to take the best of the best and rebuild your boat better than new.
I would also of probably coated the inside of my hull with a product called gluv-it when I had the floor up, but I discover that afterwards a few years after the fact. But that stuff is not cheap.
You talked about an all alum. chevy 350 block and everything.
Have you considered a aux. motor for safety or twin main motors. I assume cost is a factor like most of us.
If not merc. makes a 250hp diesel outdrive that weight is less than 700lbs. Outdrive/engine is listed at $17,000.
Or twin 140hp merc. outdrives,
Or twin e-tec's on an outboard bracket.
Thanks Elkhunter, in all likelyhood I will be doing my transom with plywood. The ballast tank may need to be custom made due to the limited space under the cabin floor and unlikely to add more than 200 lbs. I went with the aluminum 350 because its cheap, light weight and easy to work on. I'm going with your advise on the auxillary motor, definitely! I'd love to put a diesel in her... but 17G... yeah cost is a factor( single parent, kid in university). Maybe on the next repower. The outboard bracket is an interesting idea. It would free up loads of room and with the outboard hanging off it I'd have a 30 ft boat! 500 for a bracket. How much for a 200-250 hp outboard? The aluminum 350 would be great in my SS with a Berkely J12. Wow! The bracket is a great idea. That is thinking outside the box Elkhunter!

Huron Angler

Admiral

This is how Starcraft attaches outboards on a bracket from the factory. Diamond plate aluminum I believe. This improves the performance/handling and adds quite a bit of room in the stern for fishing.:D

Attachments

• islander.jpg
    islander.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 3

Gnarly

Petty Officer 2nd Class

When I do my transom on my islander eventually UHMW is what I'm thinking should be the berries prosealed to the zinc chromated 5052 skin should last longer than the rest of the boat.

Pugetsound

Lieutenant Commander

I priced the E-tec at the Seattle Boat Show last week The 200 E-tec was right at $18 K. Sure hope ny older Johnson keep running. The E-tec 150 was 14 K. That was U S A price so Canadian will be higher.

GLG fishing

Chief Petty Officer

When I do my transom on my islander eventually UHMW is what I'm thinking should be the berries prosealed to the zinc chromated 5052 skin should last longer than the rest of the boat.

I recall that UHMW was too week for transoms. Is there something I missed?
GLG