25 hp evinrude wont start

stevensmithnc

Seaman
I just picked up a 25 evinrude today hooked it up to some gas and two pulls and it started and ran. I choked it out. After that i cant get to start and when i crank(with starter now) it doesnt seem to fire and gas is dripping out the exhaust.. does this mean its flooding and i have a carb problem? Also how can I determine the year? it doesnt have a tag on it and i think its been repainted

samo_ott

Vice Admiral
Re: 25 hp evinrude wont start

Hmmm... Gas out of the exhaust is just the unburnt stuff flowing right thru.

Start with the basics. Check spark. If you have a good spark and compression then it is fuel related. Could be a stuck float flooding it out.

When was the last time the engine was run? If there is no tag whatsoever then post some inside and outside pics and some folks will get the year close or bang on for you.

outlaw241

Petty Officer 2nd Class

factory use to stamp model# on expansion plug [freeze plug] on alot of outboards

crxess

Chief Petty Officer

Disconnect fuel tank, drain carb bowl. Crank it a few times. it should start and then stall when gas is spent.

If so, then rebuild carb.
Float sticking or saturated.
Float valve not sealing.

A factory rebuild kit will have everything to get it right. Aftermarkets usually do not include float.

stevensmithnc

Seaman

Thanks, this motor hasn't been ran in a long time so im pretty sure its a float problem.... its too much gas running out the exhaust. The exhaust runs through the prop if that helps to figure out the year. it has 2 black coils and no kind of cdi boxes. I need to figure the year so i can buy a carb kit

crxess

Chief Petty Officer

Look carefully for the tag - often on the transom bracket. Copy every stamped number you find on the motor and post. something should help identify it.

stevensmithnc

Seaman

here are some numbers i found
freeze plug g2347751
coil 582508
carb d0432700
on starter flat side of block 326713 A

stevensmithnc

Seaman

also this thing is electric choke, could that be messed up and pumping extra fuel inside?

stevensmithnc

Seaman

Well still dont know what year she is but i pulled the carb off and it wasnt bad. I cleaned it up and it started..... running like it was missing though. Turned out the electric choke had a crack and it was sucking air. I disconnected the choke plugged the line and runs great.