240 v6 alarms for over heating upon startup

cstein2

Cadet
I have a 240 v6 j engine that alarms as soon as the engine had started after sitting. The code that the mechanic gave me shows erwt sensor #2 is running hot(223F). I have 2 exhaust temp sensors on each side. I have tried a new sensor in each position 1 at a time. I have also tried unplugging them all 1 at a time and all at once. The code is spn 1386 fmi 3. This engine has 100 hours and is in a 2017 regal 22 fasdek. This code started after I had some misfiring and replaced the plugs and the boat had sat for a while. I am at a loss of the next step to take to try and stop the alarm.

dubs283

Vice Admiral
I remember volvo has a service/parts warranty recall/update for the manifold temp sensors on certain late model engines

Check with a local volvo dealer or volvo themselves based on engine serial/model number for more info

muc

"Retired" Association of Marine Technicians...
You didn't post a serial number so can't be sure. But if you go to ---

--- and input your S.N. it will tell you what workshop manuals are used to diagnose and repair this issue. Also this site will alert you to any recalls. But for product improvement updates, you will have to contact a dealer.

This code sets when there is an open circuit in the ERWT circuit i.e. the ERWT sensor, the signal wire, or the ground 5Vrtn1 circuit.

Unplugging any of these sensors will set the code you have. The manual has a nice troubleshooting flow chart to use with the scan tool.

Just make sure this is the ONLY code you have! There is an another code that will cause this code to also set.

cstein2

Cadet
You didn't post a serial number so can't be sure. But if you go to ---

--- and input your S.N. it will tell you what workshop manuals are used to diagnose and repair this issue. Also this site will alert you to any recalls. But for product improvement updates, you will have to contact a dealer.

This code sets when there is an open circuit in the ERWT circuit i.e. the ERWT sensor, the signal wire, or the ground 5Vrtn1 circuit.

Unplugging any of these sensors will set the code you have. The manual has a nice troubleshooting flow chart to use with the scan tool.

Just make sure this is the ONLY code you have! There is an another code that will cause this code to also set.
40869639 is the s/n
I have checked them all and they are giving me the same number with the multi meter.

muc

40869639 is the s/n
I have checked them all and they are giving me the same number with the multi meter.
s/n is no good. should be 10 digits or a letter with 6 digits so still guessing.

I have no idea what your checking with a multi meter? volts, amps, ohms. Or where you might be checking?

The code you posted is for the starboard exhaust elbow.

There are only 3 possible causes for this code. Assuming this is the only code and this is the engine I'm guessing it is.
1. bad sensor
2. bad wiring
3. bad ECM

muc

I should probably add that these engines will only throw some codes with the engine not running and some codes with the engine running.
Did your mechanic scan both ways?
Did they look in all the possible places, “active”, “previously active” and “pending”?
I have to question this because they should have been able to tell you this code only applies to the sensor in the starboard exhaust elbow.
Like I said earlier there are other things that can cause this code, but they will also set a code.

cstein2

Cadet
s/n is no good. should be 10 digits or a letter with 6 digits so still guessing.

I have no idea what your checking with a multi meter? volts, amps, ohms. Or where you might be checking?

The code you posted is for the starboard exhaust elbow.

There are only 3 possible causes for this code. Assuming this is the only code and this is the engine I'm guessing it is.
1. bad sensor
2. bad wiring
3. bad ECM
A769131
I was checking ohms

cstein2

Cadet
I should probably add that these engines will only throw some codes with the engine not running and some codes with the engine running.
Did your mechanic scan both ways?
Did they look in all the possible places, “active”, “previously active” and “pending”?
I have to question this because they should have been able to tell you this code only applies to the sensor in the starboard exhaust elbow.
Like I said earlier there are other things that can cause this code, but they will also set a code.
I'm not sure how he checked it. But I'm reading through the print out. And it says 0 active trouble codes. Previously active is 16.

muc

I'm not sure how he checked it. But I'm reading through the print out. And it says 0 active trouble codes. Previously active is 16.
Thanks for the s/n. Yes this is the engine I thought it was.
The “J” model engines (your engine) were a big change in the programming that was loaded into the ECM. So nobody can know if this code sets KOEO or KOER. Only way to tell is unplug the sensor while watching the scanner in both states.
A lot of the diagnosis depends on what those other 16 codes were.

With your ohms testing and the swapping of the sensors it sure looks like you have (depending on those 16 codes) an issue with the wiring or ECM. The only way I know to be sure is to follow the manual and that requires a scan tool and a jumper wire.
Might need another scan and if the only code is spn 1386 fmi 3 you can finish the diagnosis.

cstein2

Cadet
Thanks for the s/n. Yes this is the engine I thought it was.
The “J” model engines (your engine) were a big change in the programming that was loaded into the ECM. So nobody can know if this code sets KOEO or KOER. Only way to tell is unplug the sensor while watching the scanner in both states.
A lot of the diagnosis depends on what those other 16 codes were.

With your ohms testing and the swapping of the sensors it sure looks like you have (depending on those 16 codes) an issue with the wiring or ECM. The only way I know to be sure is to follow the manual and that requires a scan tool and a jumper wire.
Might need another scan and if the only code is spn 1386 fmi 3 you can finish the diagnosis.
I should have started with this info first. The boat had sat for a couple months. The boat was running poorly. I put in new plugs, had the fuel checked, changed the oil and gear oil. The alarm was sounding when it was not running at full power. It showed a misfire in a couple cylinders. After that work it now runs like new, but the alarm is sounding every 60 seconds only while the engine is running.

muc

If you can't scan the engine, about the only thing else I can think of is to check the wires between this sensor and the ECM for opens and shorts to power or ground.