225hp idleing poorly

red cobia 17'

Seaman
I have a 1996 225 carb.mercury outboard and about 2 months ago I replaced all the bleeder hoses on the engine,and checked the check valves(all were good).Went out several times in that time period.Went out last week and about 5 or 6 lines on each side came off.Replaced all the line again(with the right hose this time).Went out this week and engine ran good but idled poorly.Sometimes when slowing down to a stop the engine would shut off.It would restart fine,but while idleing it would shut off.Checked with manual and all is hooked up correctly.Any clues where to look next?

j_martin

Admiral
Re: 225hp idleing poorly

Compression, plugged idle circuits in a carb, vacuum leaks, reeds, in that order.

hope it helps
John

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

what do your plugs look like, have you check spark on all of them?

red cobia 17'

Seaman

I have checked the plugs and they don't look too bad.I plan on changing them anyway.I have not checked the compression yet but will after our company leaves.Will get back on compression readings.How do you check the idle circuits and the vacume?

red cobia 17'

Seaman

OK Grand kids are gone and there is piece and quiet again. I checked the compression and all are in between 105-110. The engine idled good when half of the bleeder hoses were off that day offshore.When I changed all of them and took boat out again it started acting up.(idleing and shutting off).It has to be something simple.As I said before I rechecked all check valves and made sure they were routed correctly.I also just replaced the plugs.Any idea's?

j_martin

Admiral

Are you sure you have the right routing diagram? Horizontal reed motors and vertical reed motors are different.

hope it helps
John

red cobia 17'

Seaman

Yes it's the correct diagram.The problem started again after putting new bleeder hoses on.I did find two check valves for the cylinder block and end caps bad.I'm going to replace them tomorrow.Any other suggestions? I'm all ears.