20hp or 25hp. Need new motor

JohnnyB77

Recruit
Time for a new motor. Currently have 2007 Mercury SeaPro on Lund wc14 dlx. No a light boat for 14’ and I do carry some weight mainly for fishing small lakes.
Mercury 20hp 60 pounds lighter than the 25hp. My concern is will the 20hp work harder than the 25 and eventually fail sooner. will it give me performance I need, not necessarily high speed, although 15-20mph would be nice with 3 people and gear with factory floor. I need motor to get me where I’m going and then troll with it as well.
25hp about $1500 more (Canada).
so, will the 20hp eventually outwork itself? Boat is rated at 25hp max.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
I think wear is more related to prop choice and lubricants. I'd go for the 20 with what you described. Get a tiny tach and prop it for upper end of the recommended rpm range at WOT with your max load and enjoy. I like Pennzoil Premium TC-W3 which is semi-synthetic. The Syn part reduces smoking and the dino part helps to control corrosion. Wally World carries it in the sporting goods section here.

I assumed you were talking about a 2 stroker. That would be my choice for what you want to want to do. Couple of reasons: lighter weight and no "making oil" (condensation in the crankcase) that people mention on here when using 4 strokers in cooler climates with lots of trolling.

Last edited:

JohnnyB77

Recruit
I think wear is more related to prop choice and lubricants. I'd go for the 20 with what you described. Get a tiny tach and prop it for upper end of the recommended rpm range at WOT with your max load and enjoy. I like Pennzoil Premium TC-W3 which is semi-synthetic. The Syn part reduces smoking and the dino part helps to control corrosion. Wally World carries it in the sporting goods section here.

I assumed you were talking about a 2 stroker. That would be my choice for what you want to want to do. Couple of reasons: lighter weight and no "making oil" (condensation in the crankcase) that people mention on here when using 4 strokers in cooler climates with lots of trolling.

Thanks for that input TexasMark.
I’m new to all this so that gives me some good input on maintenance, still figuring out the whole prop thing though. You were correct on the 2 stroke, they’re getting harder to find and am hearing some excellent things with the efi on 4 stroke. Also considering a trolling plate

hardwater fisherman

Lieutenant Commander
What year motor are you talking about? I ask because I know for many years the mercury ,20 and 25 hp are the same weight. They had different carbs to gain the extra RPMS and hp.

JohnnyB77

Recruit
I was referring to the new 4 stroke efi models, 2019-2020, I believe 20hp in at 99lbs, 25hp 170 lbs (give or take), 60 pound difference. That’s a lot of extra weight for an extra 5 horses on a 14’ boat.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
I was referring to the new 4 stroke efi models, 2019-2020, I believe 20hp in at 99lbs, 25hp 170 lbs (give or take), 60 pound difference. That’s a lot of extra weight for an extra 5 horses on a 14’ boat.

I doubt your 5 hp would make up the difference in weight. 20 sounds better all the time!