2022 Yamaha 300hp 4-stroke Command Link NMEA

TBarCYa

Senior Chief Petty Officer
The two networks (CL and CLP) should never be connected together. Gateway or not.

And it is documented.

That would be great if that was the control box I have but it's not. The 6X9 control box has only one 4-pin connector and it's meant for connecting to a second station, which I don't have. Regarding connecting the two networks I was referring to CLP and NMEA, not CL and CLP. The gateway is to connect CLP and NMEA.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
The two networks (CL and CLP) should never be connected together. Gateway or not.

And it is documented.
Only because pin outs on the two (different) connectors don't match up for power. There is no reason why you couldn't connect just the data lines and use either port.

If you know of technical reason why it couldn't be done I'm all ears.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
What is the basis for this comment? What is your source of information?
The NMEA 2000 Standard specifies the connectors used, PGN listings, power distribution schemes, etc. to allow connected components to be Plug and Play. The mere fact that they require a Gateway (translate CAN PGN to NMEA PGN) tells you the motor is not a NMEA 2000 certified device.

"While CAN-Bus devices may be “compatible”, “designed to”, “work with”’ or is “compliant” to the NMEA 2000 standard does not mean that you would want any of these products to be connected to the same network that controls your engines or relying on the navigational data. These have not been tested and verified."

You would be better off using the J1939 Interface with a J1939 compatible device if given a choice.