2020 Mercury 150 4 Stk/Steering Feels Stiff. Where Are the Grease Point Located?

diver94

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi,

I have a 2020 Scout with a Mercury 150 (4 stroke). The steering feels stiff. The engine has the Baystar hydraulic system; the steering fluid seems Ok (not low) and I don't see any leaks.

I was able to find only one grease Zerk location. The grease zerk I found is in the middle of the engine's column. See attached picture (right behind where I'm pointing at). I added some marine grease with a grease gun )some grease came out of the lower column but not the top. The steering got a little better after adding grease there, but I still feel some resistance. Please let me know if there are other places where I can add grease to it,
Thanks!

Lou

Attachments

• thumbnail_IMG_2511.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_2511.jpg
    499.2 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
I added some marine grease with a grease gun )some grease came out of the lower column but not the top. The steering got a little better after adding grease there, but I still feel some resistance. Please let me know if there are other places where I can add grease to it,
Nope, that's it.
If pumping new grease in doesn't clear the old grease and restore operation, you need to tear it down to clean *** out.

FWIW.... picture appears to still have cable steering connected

diver94

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Nope, that's it.
If pumping new grease in doesn't clear the old grease and restore operation, you need to tear it down to clean *** out.

FWIW.... picture appears to still have cable steering connected
What do you mean? "the cable steering seems to be connected". Was I supposed to remove something?

I think I should add more grease to get all the old grease to come out the bottom of the steering column. The color of the old grease was whitish/light brown.
Thanks!

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
You want fresh grease to come out both the top bushing and the bottom bushing. I had that issue on my '93 Merc. I expect the PO never greased it. I had some success fixing it.

Pump enough grease into the fitting for new grease to emerge from the bottom. Now you want to open up the space between the top of the swivel tube and the powerhead.

I was able to do this by tilting the motor up all the way, and using a length of rope and a piece of pipe. I tied the rope under the Anti ventilation plate and around the transom bracket and tightened it with the pipe, like a torniquet. It took some wiggling as well to open up space for the grease to emerge.

I expect a web strap and some tie down hardware would work as well.

diver94

Petty Officer 2nd Class
You want fresh grease to come out both the top bushing and the bottom bushing. I had that issue on my '93 Merc. I expect the PO never greased it. I had some success fixing it.

Pump enough grease into the fitting for new grease to emerge from the bottom. Now you want to open up the space between the top of the swivel tube and the powerhead.

I was able to do this by tilting the motor up all the way, and using a length of rope and a piece of pipe. I tied the rope under the Anti ventilation plate and around the transom bracket and tightened it with the pipe, like a torniquet. It took some wiggling as well to open up space for the grease to emerge.

Good idea. I will try doing that next week...that's what i think I'm missing; to be able to get the new grease to come out the top bushing. THANKS!

diver94

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hey Chris, do you have any pics of how you tied the rope (or a quick drawing). I understand tying a rope under the anticavitaion plate, but I'm not sure how to put it around the transom bracket or where/how to place the pipe to create the torniquet like force. Did you have to lose any bolts. Or just apply some force to the the steering column to separate a little IOT get the grease to come out the top? THANKS!

Attachments

• rope.jpg
    rope.jpg
    792.2 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:

diver94

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Should I run the strap or rope through the transom bracket like this? (Of course, I would run the rope under the steering support bracket and lines). Also, I would make sure the engine is tilted all the way up. Tks!

Attachments

• bracket.jpg
    bracket.jpg
    692.3 KB · Views: 6

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
I think the picture has it correct. Tilt the motor up to lighten the pressure on the top bushing. Wiggle the motor steering while tigntening the strap.

Some heat might help soften the old grease.

If that all fails, you could drop the trailer tongue, put some sort of block under the anti ventilation plate and skeg and jack up the trailer to cause the engine to lift up. That could cause damage to the engine, so be real careful.

diver94

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I think the picture has it correct. Tilt the motor up to lighten the pressure on the top bushing. Wiggle the motor steering while tigntening the strap.

Some heat might help soften the old grease.

If that all fails, you could drop the trailer tongue, put some sort of block under the anti ventilation plate and skeg and jack up the trailer to cause the engine to lift up. That could cause damage to the engine, so be real careful.
Got it. I will also spray a lot of PB blaster on the top bushing area. THANKS!