2018 V6 200 J Oil pressure dropping and alarm

Mjroyalty

Cadet
I have a 2018 Regal 2000 with a VP 4.3 L. Only 57 hours on boat. Had been sitting for the last few years. At idle speed all gauges look normal. Temp is around 170 and oil pressure is around 30 on the gauge. When I accelerate, the oil pressure gauge drops below 20 and triggers alarm. I’d you turn the key off and restart oil pressure reads normal, no alarm. Oil is fresh and full. Also need to add that it is somewhat intermittent. Also, speedometer is not working as well. Unsure if it’s related. Thanks for the help

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
I have a 2018 Regal 2000 with a VP 4.3 L. Only 57 hours on boat. Had been sitting for the last few years. At idle speed all gauges look normal. Temp is around 170 and oil pressure is around 30 on the gauge. When I accelerate, the oil pressure gauge drops below 20 and triggers alarm. I’d you turn the key off and restart oil pressure reads normal, no alarm. Oil is fresh and full. Also need to add that it is somewhat intermittent. Also, speedometer is not working as well. Unsure if it’s related. Thanks for the help
I’d be if the mind that you have electric issues. Start with grounds and senders or pressure switches. Depending on how low below 20 psi you mean. But even if it was a genuine 20 psi…it shouldn’t set the alarm off. Despite not wanting it as low, if genuine. You sure it’s an oil pressure alarm otherwise ? Not an over heat ? Anyway. Test the earthing system around the thing and see if there are any issues.

Mjroyalty

Cadet
I’d be if the mind that you have electric issues. Start with grounds and senders or pressure switches. Depending on how low below 20 psi you mean. But even if it was a genuine 20 psi…it shouldn’t set the alarm off. Despite not wanting it as low, if genuine. You sure it’s an oil pressure alarm otherwise ? Not an over heat ? Anyway. Test the earthing system around the thing and see if there are any issues.
That’s where my head was as well. It’s drops nearly to zero and then the alarm starts. Temp has been rock solid, running normal. You can see the oil needle drop, then the alarm.
I pulled the boat from PA to MO when I bought it. I’m thinking something got vibrated loose.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Install a mechanical gauge and confirm oil pressure

The alarm trigger point is either 4 or 7 psi depending on the switch.

Since both the gauge is dropping and the alarm switch is triggering and both are wired separately. I would lean towards actually dropping oil pressure

While the oil is fresh, did you change the filter too?

Mjroyalty

Cadet
I just purchased the boat and it has only had one oil change (after broken in). It has 57 hours on it. The oil still looks brand new. Should I change just the filter or do both?

Scott Danforth

Staff member
I just purchased the boat and it has only had one oil change (after broken in). It has 57 hours on it. The oil still looks brand new. Should I change just the filter or do both?
your logic and reasoning is flawed.

oil changes are to be every 50 hours or every year, which ever occurs first your boat should be on its 6th oil change if the maintenance was kept up.

change the oil and the filter.

also, since you are supposed to pull the drive every year to inspect the bellows, gimbal bearing, u-joints and alignment. you will want to do that. and while you have the drive off, I would put in a new raw water pump impeller

Mjroyalty

Cadet
I’m just going off the facts as I have them reported to me. I just purchased the boat. I was at the dealer last weekend and they told me every 100 hours or every season for oil changes. It’s running full synthetic. And impeller is every other season according to them (or 200 hours).
My reasoning for asking about the oil filter is related to the drop in pressure and possibly a clogged filter.
Still trying to sort out my original issue. Thanks for the other maintenance feedback though! 🙂

dubs283

Vice Admiral
My reasoning for asking about the oil filter is related to the drop in pressure and possibly a clogged filter.

The oil filter housing assy has a bypass valve in it to alleviate issues from a clogged/faulty oil filter.

Do as scott recommends, change oil and filter. Use VP 10w-40 full synthetic oil and an oem filter, lake test and note results

Also would reiterate the advuce of a new sea water pump impeller. Time/non-use is just as detrimental to an impeller as engine hours. You can rely on the words of others or have new parts in hand, I prefer the latter, ymmv

Scott Danforth

Staff member
I was at the dealer last weekend and they told me every 100 hours or every season for oil changes. It’s running full synthetic. And impeller is every other season according to them (or 200 hours).
So 2018 to 2023 is 5 seasons

Oil should have been changed after break-in and 5 more times.

Should already be on your 2nd impeller

Mjroyalty

Cadet
So am I reading this correctly, my issue with the oil pressure dropping and alarm sounding is somehow connected to servicing the water pump and changing the oil? I’m just confused.
Can someone tell me where the oil pressure sensor is located?

Fun Times

Staff member
We're going to need your full engine serial number and product number to try and help find your parts and locations as this is a newer designed engine model to most members here that tend to offer help where they can to where 2018 V6 200 J isn't pulling much up that I could find easily. This is what you'd be looking for as a helpful guide, https://www.volvopenta.com/your-engine/find-your-serial-number/

Now I'll add that I personally don't want to chime in and help derail this thread anymore then it may appear it could be heading in certain views because sometimes the threads may go dead which we don't want to happen in here... so I'll quickly add with the hopes to getting back to low oil pressure causes is the consensus is start your diagnostics with proper fresh engine oil and new filter and retest using a mechanical gauge to confirm if there really is an issue within the engine or an outside engine component issue.

Good luck.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
So am I reading this correctly, my issue with the oil pressure dropping and alarm sounding is somehow connected to servicing the water pump and changing the oil? I’m just confused.
that is not what I stated. I simply re-iterated that your motor should have had many more oil changes as the oil is supposed to be changed at the end of each season prior to winter layup by both the service manual and the information that you received from the dealer

However I would start with fresh oil as any oil that sits over winter will have acids forming in it from the combustion process and you need fresh oil and filter for troubleshooting. those acids and any contamination could be contributing to the drop in oil pressure. the only way to rule out the sensors or ECM or wiring is to plumb in a Tee fitting and a mechanical gauge.

Make sure you have the proper viscosity. I believe that volvo is recommending full synthetic 10W40 on your motor. confirm with the engine owners manual.

However the oil pressure sensor 3887328 is going to be on the port side of the engine based on the parts breakdown. https://www.volvopentastore.com/Ele...n_id.237303663--store_id.366--view_id.1226282

Mjroyalty

Cadet
We're going to need your full engine serial number and product number to try and help find your parts and locations as this is a newer designed engine model to most members here that tend to offer help where they can to where 2018 V6 200 J isn't pulling much up that I could find easily. This is what you'd be looking for as a helpful guide, https://www.volvopenta.com/your-engine/find-your-serial-number/

Now I'll add that I personally don't want to chime in and help derail this thread anymore then it may appear it could be heading in certain views because sometimes the threads may go dead which we don't want to happen in here... so I'll quickly add with the hopes to getting back to low oil pressure causes is the consensus is start your diagnostics with proper fresh engine oil and new filter and retest using a mechanical gauge to confirm if there really is an issue within the engine or an outside engine component issue.

Good luck.
Thanks for the help!
I believe that number is A765107
Is there a link for running the pressure test somewhere? I’m also going to order the service manual from VP today.
I’ll start with the oil change as well.
Appreciate all the help!

Mjroyalty

Cadet
Thanks for the help!
I believe that number is A765107
Is there a link for running the pressure test somewhere? I’m also going to order the service manual from VP today.
I’ll start with the oil change as well.
Appreciate all the help!

Attachments

• IMG_3051.png
    IMG_3051.png
    8.1 MB · Views: 6

Mjroyalty

Cadet
that is not what I stated. I simply re-iterated that your motor should have had many more oil changes as the oil is supposed to be changed at the end of each season prior to winter layup by both the service manual and the information that you received from the dealer

However I would start with fresh oil as any oil that sits over winter will have acids forming in it from the combustion process and you need fresh oil and filter for troubleshooting. those acids and any contamination could be contributing to the drop in oil pressure. the only way to rule out the sensors or ECM or wiring is to plumb in a Tee fitting and a mechanical gauge.

Make sure you have the proper viscosity. I believe that volvo is recommending full synthetic 10W40 on your motor. confirm with the engine owners manual.

However the oil pressure sensor 3887328 is going to be on the port side of the engine based on the parts breakdown. https://www.volvopentastore.com/Ele...n_id.237303663--store_id.366--view_id.1226282
Gotcha! Thanks. Just ordered the oil change pump. Do you recommend any particular oil type. The Volvo Oil label says it’s a blended product. I really like Liqui Moly products ( I use them in my other German vehicles) but I realize the 4.3 is a GM block. I have a VP oil filter and I’m changing the fuel filter as well.
Just checking out there to see what works well with the crowd.

Fun Times

Staff member
Perfect, thanks...

Item number 11 is your oil pressure sensor that you're looking for, https://www.volvopenta.com/shop/0/part-sections/54164865

Here's an real photo of the oil sensor, https://www.ebay.com/itm/2740138599...yZeNBgzUV8Aszh4rxBqA6VwA==|tkp:Bk9SR46CyMf_YQ

It's most likely towards the rear of the engine just not exactly sure on your model or which side now.

Here's your list of all the engine parts, https://www.volvopenta.com/shop/0?serialnumber=A765107

Looks like you may have found them already but here is where your manuals can be either found or bought depending on which one you go with. You will have to add in your Product designation info which is V6-200-J to bring up the manual options as there are many.

muc

"Retired" Association of Marine Technicians...
Your engine has the oil pressure sender mounted on the front top of the engine, just a little starboard of centerline.

This is NOT a 4.3L engine that some of the people giving you advice seem to think it is. This engine has variable valve timing and high pressure direct fuel injection.

Oil is supplied by a variable displacement two-stage vane-type oil pump assembly. An oil control solenoid valve, controlled by the engine control module (ECM), mounted to the oil pump provides two stage functionality. The pressure relief is in the pump and a bypass valve is in the oil filer housing. There is also another electric solenoid at the front of the cam shaft.

This engine really needs to be connected to a scan tool operated by someone with an understanding of how it works. There are multiple fault codes for the oil pressure due to having two electric solenoids in the system.

Yes the speedo problem could be related, it depends on what gauge package your boat has installed. I worked on a Volvo powered boat that the trim gauge didn't work, trim gauge was good, trim sender was good, ECM was good, wiring was good. Problem was a bad tachometer. Tach worked good the only part of it that was bad was the section that interpreted the CAN bus info and sent it to the trim gauge. On your engine the oil pressure data comes from the ECM, how it gets the the oil pressure gauge depends on what gauges you have installed.

If you change the oil, measure how much oil comes out. There's a possibility too much oil is in the crankcase. Maybe someone put the wrong dipstick in it?

Mjroyalty

Cadet
Your engine has the oil pressure sender mounted on the front top of the engine, just a little starboard of centerline.

This is NOT a 4.3L engine that some of the people giving you advice seem to think it is. This engine has variable valve timing and high pressure direct fuel injection.

Oil is supplied by a variable displacement two-stage vane-type oil pump assembly. An oil control solenoid valve, controlled by the engine control module (ECM), mounted to the oil pump provides two stage functionality. The pressure relief is in the pump and a bypass valve is in the oil filer housing. There is also another electric solenoid at the front of the cam shaft.

This engine really needs to be connected to a scan tool operated by someone with an understanding of how it works. There are multiple fault codes for the oil pressure due to having two electric solenoids in the system.

Yes the speedo problem could be related, it depends on what gauge package your boat has installed. I worked on a Volvo powered boat that the trim gauge didn't work, trim gauge was good, trim sender was good, ECM was good, wiring was good. Problem was a bad tachometer. Tach worked good the only part of it that was bad was the section that interpreted the CAN bus info and sent it to the trim gauge. On your engine the oil pressure data comes from the ECM, how it gets the the oil pressure gauge depends on what gauges you have installed.

If you change the oil, measure how much oil comes out. There's a possibility too much oil is in the crankcase. Maybe someone put the wrong dipstick in it?
Wow, okay! Thanks for the advice! I’ll be doing the oil change this weekend and will measure the old. If it had too much oil, would that cause the drop in pressure? Also, is the alarm triggered by the gauge or the pressure sensor?

On the gauges. This is a Regal 2000 ESX with Faria gauges. The oil pressure is in a single multi gauge with oil, temp, battery, fuel. The Speedo is right next to it. I will upload a pic of the dash.

Where would you recommend attaching the pressure gauge on the motor?