2014 mercruiser serial # 2a191194 dtc 321 & 322

stang32

Chief Petty Officer
hi all, i have this boat that is throwing 2 hard codes, 321 & 322 which refer to the O2 system. ive erased them and they come back within and hours time running. the boat goes into closed loop and the sensors are dancing but i can't find info on what their perameters should be and i can't find much info on line about this issue and wondering if i can get some help.

alldodge

Staff member
Not enough info on the CAT motors. Maybe @Fun Times or @Nashville might have some ideas. I'm finding the codes but its showing up as coil driver open/closed

stang32

Chief Petty Officer
Not enough info on the CAT motors. Maybe @Fun Times or @Nashville might have some ideas. I'm finding the codes but its showing up as coil driver open/closed
yeah, i found the same info but also found the decription that came up on my rinda,

Attachments

• 20210903_103731.jpg
    20210903_103731.jpg
    4.8 MB · Views: 10
  • 20210903_103803.jpg
    20210903_103803.jpg
    6.6 MB · Views: 10

alldodge

Staff member
Good find on the bulletin
Problem is need the G3 to know what needs to be done to fix, then a water test to ensure it has been done. So Merc dealer is only one that can find and fix the problem, and they get paid to drive the boat around

stang32

Chief Petty Officer
Good find on the bulletin
Problem is need the G3 to know what needs to be done to fix, then a water test to ensure it has been done. So Merc dealer is only one that can find and fix the problem, and they get paid to drive the boat around
i thought the g3 was just their verion of the rhinda but i guess its got more bells ans whistles in it. the boat is still in the water, im lheavily leaning towards changing out the original o2 sensors. the boat has about 150hrs on original sensors and i ihave read in several places that the ones behind the cats corrode often.

nola mike

Vice Admiral
i thought the g3 was just their verion of the rhinda but i guess its got more bells ans whistles in it. the boat is still in the water, im lheavily leaning towards changing out the original o2 sensors. the boat has about 150hrs on original sensors and i ihave read in several places that the ones behind the cats corrode often.
Are you able to see live o2 data on the rinda? O2 sensor voltage, scope image, fuel trims,etc?

Nashville

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I’m not a Mercury guy, but VP has similar codes. It’s reporting rich on that side, not a heater failure. Pull the plugs (on that side) and see if she’s running rich. If so, find that cause and save the $325 you’d spend on new O2 sensors.

Searay205

Chief Petty Officer
what causes a something to run rich? Leaking injector (but not likely), spark plug not firing (your Rinda will tell you ignition miss per cylinder, may just have a corroded terminal guess how I know..). The precast O2 sensor never go bad, the post cat sensors are exposed to water and exhaust gases and my failed every 18 months till I removed O2 sensors permanently (CP Performance O2 simulator) also removed cats. All your sensors are to protect the precious catalytic converter.

Is this a ghost code or does it come back. You need to go into history on your Rinda and clear codes there, just clearing without clearing history doesn't clear from PCM. What your history say on your Rinda? At what speed and temperature did alarm occur? It shows the engine conditions when code was set. You need to spend some time with your Rinda its a lot more than a code reader. This may have been a one time ghost code, ask how I know that....

Searay205

Chief Petty Officer
Code 322 - PCM has had to remove too much fuel trying to get correct o2 reading.
Code 321 -PCM has had to add to much fuel trying to get the correct o2 reading.

So my guess and in contrast to what I wrote above is your precat o2 sensor on your Starboard side isn't responding quick enough to PCM changes. Wagner makes an O2 sensor about 2/3 price of Mercruiser sensor. You can test the O2 sensor with an ohmmeter for resistance and put some heat on it for milliamp checks. I would just buy an new O2 sensor.

Searay205

Chief Petty Officer
Mercury service manual #49 PCM 09 Diagnostics. However I don't recommend buying it because once you see the PAGES and PAGES of possible fault codes you will sale the boat. It shows how to test different components can be bought off eBay for $25 and worth many many times more than that.

Last edited:

alldodge

Staff member
Don't know the cross but part number list 8M2003959 and can find for $42

stang32

Chief Petty Officer
well, 400 bucks later (o2 sensors) and the DTC light came back on after 1 hr. my customer just took the bot out and called me. im going to check if all the same codes came back on monday.