2013 Merc 20hp 4 stroke - Low Compression??

Elliomcmh

Seaman
Thread starter
Joined
Mar 22, 2011
Messages
65
Hi,
i have a 2013 Merc 20hp 4 stroke. I decided to check the compression after some vibration at trolling speed. I got 55-60psi on both cylinders, is this normal? I remember my old evinrude compression being significantly higher.

i checked the compression on a cold engine, throttle in the idle position, and had the spark plug in the cylinder I wasn’t checking, not sure if this is the correct procedure.

Thanks for the help!!
 

racerone

Honorary Supreme Mariner
Joined
Dec 28, 2013
Messages
39,966
Throttle must be at least half open so test it again.
 

Elliomcmh

Seaman
Thread starter
Joined
Mar 22, 2011
Messages
65
Ok I checked both cylinders with the throttle at 50% and 100%, I’m still getting 55-60psi on both cylinders. I also removed both plugs and tested each cylinder that way at 50% and 100% throttle, and it was still 55-60 psi. Engine was cold, 55 degrees outside.
 

racerone

Honorary Supreme Mariner
Joined
Dec 28, 2013
Messages
39,966
Something is wrong with your gauge or you have serious engine issues !
 

Elliomcmh

Seaman
Thread starter
Joined
Mar 22, 2011
Messages
65
it’s a new gauge I got off of amazon. I could try buying another gauge tomorrow. Would it idle fine with a little vibration at 1/4 throttle and run fine at top speed if the compression is this bad? It’s on a Tracker Grizzly 1448 and runs 22 mph with a 10p prop.
 
Last edited:

Elliomcmh

Seaman
Thread starter
Joined
Mar 22, 2011
Messages
65
Update: I just tested the compression on my lawn mower, the spec is 160psi and the gauge was right at 160psi, so I guess the gauge is good???
 

racerone

Honorary Supreme Mariner
Joined
Dec 28, 2013
Messages
39,966
Some trouble shooting needs to be done on that motor.
 

Elliomcmh

Seaman
Thread starter
Joined
Mar 22, 2011
Messages
65
I just did some research and it looks like some of the Tohatsu made mercury small outboards have an automatic compression release, I wonder if that is why it runs ok but has low compression.
 
Top