2013 Glastron Prop

Shawn_Odden

Cadet
Looking to get a better hole shot and improve low speed handling. I typically plan to pull tubes/skiers and cruise around the lake at slow speeds. My current prop is gouged up pretty good so I will be getting it repaired to have as a spare.

My current setup
2013 Glastron GTS 205
5.0L 260hp Merc
Alpha One drive
14.25 x 21 Alum Prop
52 mph at 4950 rpm

I would highly recommend a Mercury High Five or Quicksilver QST5 (same prop different name). I have had phenomenal success with this prop in improving hole shot, acceleration, pulling power, grip while turning, and holding the boat on plane at low speed. In addition, I did not lose any top speed compared to the 3 blade aluminum prop I had previously. Based on the information you give I would guess that keeping the same 21 pitch would be the way to go.
If you don't want to spend that much then you might look into the 4 blade Solas props, I have heard generally good things about them as well, but they are also certainly not in the same league as the High Five. You may have to drop down an inch or two in pitch with one of these in order to keep your WOT RPMs toward the top of the recommended range.

Last edited:

Shawn_Odden

Cadet
What are your thoughts on the composite props. I have 1 lake that I go to that is extremely rocky and water level changes drastically from week to week. I would only use the composite on this lake and swap to normal for the rest.

I'll check out the high five and you think stay with 21?

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
Would not go with SS with that water condition. I am a die hard SS guy but SS has it's limits. 4950 on a 5 liter is getting on up there isn't it? Going to suggest a Turning Point Hustler alum which is a high performance alum prop in 4 blades. Go to their www and read their advertising (http://turningpointpropellers.com/_CONTENT/hustler-aluminum-boat-propellers.php). They cup a lot of their props and I don't think it would hurt you....see below.

Would look at their 4 blade alum. which do better at slower speeds in holding the boat at desired speed/attitude and improve water toy pulling than 3 blade. Hustler also has a lot of props ported which are holes in the barrel to improve hole shot. This may or may not help you playing with water toys. Holes let the engine unload and rev up faster in the hole and initially coming out, usually around 1k rpm higher till you get up to speed and it locks up....holes get blocked off by water pressure and rpm drop back to normal. If you are pulling water toys you may not get up to adequate speed to seal them off and you will be running high rpms and low speed which you don't want nor need. The 4 blade alone will do the thrusting in the hole and seems you have rpms to spare (plenty of power) to power a 4 outta da hole with de toys!

So, since they say their 4 blade does not suffer losses from 3 blades that other props do, go with a 4 blade of the same pitch, unported. If cupped, at WOT it acts like a higher pitched prop by 1" usually and that wouldn't hurt to pull your rpms down a little.....shouldn't your WOT max rpms be more like 4800? Should make up for the 4th blade drag and allow you to keep your top end as you have it.

So in summary 14.25 (or as close as they have) x 21 alum 4 blade cupped, no port holes. If it does what they say, that ought to fix you up.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
I guess the composite prop may solve the prop repair/replacement issue assuming it has replaceable blades.
If you strike something with the composite you will have to replace a blade(s).With a little luck you might be able to continue with an al prop
after a strike. You would need a spare prop for sure.

jkust

Rear Admiral
I've owned maybe 4 or 5 Turning Point Hustler Aluminum props. They are inexpensive. My thought is that the edges chip easier than other aluminum props I've owned. Make sure you have a spare hub assembly and washer as well and ensure it is the correct hub. TPH changed their hub assembly at some point and surprised me when I had ordered one and my prior hub used on a TPH didn't work.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
I've owned maybe 4 or 5 Turning Point Hustler Aluminum props. They are inexpensive. My thought is that the edges chip easier than other aluminum props I've owned. Make sure you have a spare hub assembly and washer as well and ensure it is the correct hub. TPH changed their hub assembly at some point and surprised me when I had ordered one and my prior hub used on a TPH didn't work.

I do remember the switch. Had a similar situation with them. Luckily I got the right hub. Course iboats posts the correct hub and thrust washer with the prop when advertising it for sale. That takes the guess work out of it as that's what I did.

In chipping going to bet that's due to the process they put their alum. through to make it strong. Like heat treating a high wear surface.......take a file for example.....tough as nails, but don't bang it on something hard....likely to break in half on you. Strong but more brittle.

I have no first hand experience with composite props but I have heard from others that while they do not offer nearly the performance of stainless steel, they work well and are certainly much easier and cheaper to repair than other props. Your boat is big enough and powerful enough that I think stainless steel is the only way to go from a performance standpoint. However if you occasionally go to a shallow, rocky lake than I think a composite could be a really good option for those occasions.

In general you lose a little RPM when you switch from aluminum to stainless steel and you also lose a little RPM when you switch from 3 blades to 4 or 5 blades. However due to the High Fives smaller diameter the WOT RPM is often similar to a 3 blade aluminum of the same pitch. Of course the only way to know for sure is to test it on your specific boat.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
In general you lose a little RPM when you switch from aluminum to stainless steel and you also lose a little RPM when you switch from 3 blades to 4 or 5 blades. Of course the only way to know for sure is to test it on your specific boat.

The reason for the first comparison is the SS is usually a high performance prop and you get more bite like Frank recently mentioned on a Ballistic prop he ran. More bite means more load on the engine but more bite also means more water contact, usually less slip and more mph. Yes the rpms drop but the speed and performance increase to the limit of your engine's capability.

The second is that the more blades the less the prop efficiency; proven by Merc. at Lake X, Florida back in the '50's. That's why they sold their engines with a 2 bladed prop up through their Merc 1000 first 100 hp 2 stroke production outboard. However, the fewer the blades the more the vibration and for heavy loads the less bite so multiple blades became the norm. So yes you loose a little rpm in increasing blades but what do you gain? A lot of thrust!

As I have said many times, only way to know for sure is to test it....will agree with that.