2013 90 4 stroke EFI - ECM errors & Gas in the Oil

Scott2020

Cadet
Engine hasn't bogged down, but getting faults on Vessel View app and gas in the oil.
These are the faults from last 2 times it's been run.
7/28 3:48 3075-28 Electric lift fuel pump timeout. today while idling on muffs.
6/16 1:08 1112-23 Fuel vent switch.
6/16 1:08 1111-23 Fuel float switch.

Hoping you folks have some ideas.

havoc_squad

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Engine hasn't bogged down, but getting faults on Vessel View app and gas in the oil.
These are the faults from last 2 times it's been run.
7/28 3:48 3075-28 Electric lift fuel pump timeout. today while idling on muffs.
6/16 1:08 1112-23 Fuel vent switch.
6/16 1:08 1111-23 Fuel float switch.

Hoping you folks have some ideas.
I think this video will help provide a lot of insight on how many mercury newer EFI outboards fuel VST system works.

Born Again Boating - Mercury Outboard Fuel Problem Youtube video

Based on the code you mention and fuel in oil, it sounds like your float switch sensor system in the VST is not reporting when it reaches the full level, which if there is a vacuum hose from the engine in that VST, it could be filling your engine crankcase with fuel because the VST is overflowing.

As a protection, the outboard's engine computer will shut off the fuel pump after a 20 second pump duration and throw a code. Then engine would starve of gas and shut off.

Be advised, there is no substitute for not having the factory service manual. I would strongly advise you get it and purchase the servicing software if you intend on doing diagnosing or replacing anything that involves the engine computer. (fuel injection system, coils, fault codes, etc.)

Parts cannon on these engine computer outboards can get extremely expensive fast with no results. That $500 software suddenly seems cheap if you spend +$2K on parts that didn't fix your issue.

Scott2020

Cadet
I think this video will help provide a lot of insight on how many mercury newer EFI outboards fuel VST system works.

Born Again Boating - Mercury Outboard Fuel Problem Youtube video

Based on the code you mention and fuel in oil, it sounds like your float switch sensor system in the VST is not reporting when it reaches the full level, which if there is a vacuum hose from the engine in that VST, it could be filling your engine crankcase with fuel because the VST is overflowing.

As a protection, the outboard's engine computer will shut off the fuel pump after a 20 second pump duration and throw a code. Then engine would starve of gas and shut off.

Be advised, there is no substitute for not having the factory service manual. I would strongly advise you get it and purchase the servicing software if you intend on doing diagnosing or replacing anything that involves the engine computer. (fuel injection system, coils, fault codes, etc.)

Parts cannon on these engine computer outboards can get extremely expensive fast with no results. That $500 software suddenly seems cheap if you spend +$2K on parts that didn't fix your issue.
Thanks for the comment. I have the service manual, and it's a help along with 1st hand accounts. The video you pointed out is a big help. For others that have FSM issues:
Merc Service Bulletin: https://pdf4pro.com/cdn/this-bulletin-is-to-help-marine-parts-express-33c43.pdf

The FSM float fault and vent/canister float are leading me to a bad FSM float switch. The oil in the gas is leading me to a crack in the hose that's inside the FSM between the pressure reg. and the nipple molded into the cover. Before I open the FSM, I'll try to connect suction to the nipple and see if it draws any gas. Also, a drop in pressure at the end of the vent line after the purge valve indicates a stuck-open valve which can let gas into oil via the manifold. Since I'm new to this old engine, I'll replace the low pressure fuel filter too.

Anyone - If I stated anything incorrectly or you have tips, please post.

havoc_squad

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Thanks for the comment. I have the service manual, and it's a help along with 1st hand accounts. The video you pointed out is a big help. For others that have FSM issues:
Merc Service Bulletin: https://pdf4pro.com/cdn/this-bulletin-is-to-help-marine-parts-express-33c43.pdf

The FSM float fault and vent/canister float are leading me to a bad FSM float switch. The oil in the gas is leading me to a crack in the hose that's inside the FSM between the pressure reg. and the nipple molded into the cover. Before I open the FSM, I'll try to connect suction to the nipple and see if it draws any gas. Also, a drop in pressure at the end of the vent line after the purge valve indicates a stuck-open valve which can let gas into oil via the manifold. Since I'm new to this old engine, I'll replace the low pressure fuel filter too.

Anyone - If I stated anything incorrectly or you have tips, please post.
First make sure that fuel in oil is not a byproduct of float switch circuit not reporting full and verify there are no wiring/voltage drop issues that might be causing float sensor to not report correctly.

If vacuum part needs replacing then that's okay, but don't shotgun diagnose. First make sure the FSM/VST is not dumping gas in the crankcase through the vacuum port because of the fuel full level not reporting.

Corrosive crusties or improper connection on a plug in connector could cause weird issues for float sensor.

Scott2020

Cadet
Follow-up for someone that has similar issues in the future:
Removing & opening the FSM is easy if you take your time. Label or make a note of all the hoses. Before pics are good to have.
You don't need to remove the water hoses (starboard side) unless the case needs to be replaced.
I connected a Mighty Vac to the pressure regulator nipple before opening the box, and it held at 5psi so the little pressure hose inside that can split, was fine. My 90hp is a 2013 and it had the newer hard hose and the newer red wire FSM float switch.
I connected a Mighty Vac to the end of the vent tube pulled off of back of air filter. It held a couple psi, so the valve was closed (good) and not stuck open.
No debris or water in the fuel inside the FSM.
The FSM float switch has continuity (closed) when it's down (low fuel). The switch opens when it's all the way up. There's a switch bounce (close,very short open,close) when it lowers, but this probably doesn't matter to the software, because a new switch I had on hand does the same thing.
The vent hose end that dumps into the air filter looked clean like fuel had never gotten up that far.
In summary, I didn't find anything wrong in the FSM. I changed the low pressure fuel filter, the old one was dark inside. Maybe this was the cause of the pump timeout. I replaced the internal float switch even tho the merc original seemed to be working. I didn't find any reason there'd be gas in the oil (vac reference line was not leaking, and purge value appears to never have been open when it shouldn't have been).
I cycled the power a few times to completely fill the FSM with fuel then started it. It ran for about 10 minutes and didn't throw any faults.