2010 5.7GI-J clicking/ticking noise

dearmosd

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hello VP Gods,
I dont write much but I have a sound that is stumping me.

I have a 2009 VP 5.7GI-J with DP-S outdrive with 230hrs that I purchased last Labor Day weekend. She ran as smooth as I could want for the weekend.

To winterize her I replaced her oil with Mobil 1 10W-30, outdrive with Amsoil marine gear oil, new fuel filter and oil filter. Drained water out of block and hoses and ran antifreeze via muffs. Stored her indoors.

The issue is this past weekend I started to hear a clicking noise around the read half of the engine. The noise was faint and not cyclic but a little random but constant enough that I noticed it. Right off the boat launch I tried to take it around the cove and noticed it had a loss of power hesitation that disappeared after 10min of engine running (caulked it up to stall fuel in the lines)

First real boat ride I noticed slight surge, I could see the RPM drop a brief second and come back, again went away after 10-20 min boat ride.

Over the weekend the ticking/clicking increased in frequency but never constant to make me think a lifter was clicking with every cycle of the motor. Maybe a lifter slowly loosening but again never constant pattern like it was with every revolution of the motor.

By the end of the weekend it was obvious the clicking was there and the belts starting to squeal which is another WTF. No I have front end noise which sounds like a belt but also is on a rhythmic cycle unlike the clicking from the rear of the engine.

Only think I know I did wrong on my winterization was I filled engine oil back with 6qts of oil and engine specs are 5 qts. The engine only ran for maybe 20min with the extra oil until i pulled the extra quart out so not sure how that could be the cause but had to state my error.

Here is a video link, but I am afraid the noise of the clicking I want help with is shadowed over the fuel pump noise and belt sequel.

Not sure how often lifters come loose on VP motors with only 230hrs. Engine has original plugs/wires/distributor as far as I know.

Any guidance of diagnosis is much appreciated.

89retta

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Wrong oil. Should've used straight 30 weight synthetic or 15w40 synthetic

dearmosd

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I could not here is specifically but also after further investigating I wish I looked at night and inspected the wires more closely. This is why I an trying to learn now and when I go back to the lake I have a list of things to investigate. I could see how a bad wire could get worse within minutes causing me to hear it get worse in front of me. As a tune up I will be replacing the cap/rotor/plugs/wire just in case that is the issue

Oil: I just double looked at the manual supplied via VP website and it lists part #3847302, when I do a search everything points to 10W30

Last edited:

Shade Tree boy

Seaman Apprentice
Yeah 10w-30:is what I have read as well. 30w isn’t available most places anymore

dearmosd

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Could the distributor cap/rotor be failing to the point of hearing a clicking noise when the rotor is spinning and I hear the noise at a certain point in the rotation?

Maybe not specifically arching (outside of the distributor/wires) but loss of power due to cap/rotor starting fail?

dearmosd

Petty Officer 3rd Class
It does not get louder, just speeds up with RPM. From memory not sure if it was rhythmic with RPM. Again it seems to get worse on the rhythmic noise as the weekend went on. By the end of the weekend it probably was more rhythmic which worried me to the point of not taking it out on cruises.

By the end of the weekend the motor performed fine (no noticeable engine loss of power or knock, mostly sound).

Deadhead1989

Recruit
It does not get louder, just speeds up with RPM. From memory not sure if it was rhythmic with RPM. Again it seems to get worse on the rhythmic noise as the weekend went on. By the end of the weekend it probably was more rhythmic which worried me to the point of not taking it out on cruises.

By the end of the weekend the motor performed fine (no noticeable engine loss of power or knock, mostly sound).
Did you figure out what the issue was? This past weekend my boat did the same exact thing. Would love to know what you figured out.