2009 Vmax 200 lower unit removal

44specktator

Recruit
Does the gear shift need to be in gear to drop the lower unit or does it need to be in neutral? Just trying to change my water pump.

robert graham

Admiral
Re: 2009 Vmax 200 lower unit removal

Put gearshift in neutral and after you drop lower unit mark that splined shift shaft on top of the lower unit with a black marker to be sure it doesn't move while you're working on it. I just did my 90HP Yamaha water pump a few months ago and it wasn't all that bad of a job. I bought a tube of that special waterproof driveshaft spline grease for the splines, bolts, impeller assembly, etc. You can find some good instructions with photos at "outboard motor water pump replacement" that are very helpful. A pair of 2"x4" boards screwed to the top of your workbench about 4" apart and hanging over the front about 18" makes a perfect place to set your lower unit while you work on it. Just take your time and good luck!

44specktator

Recruit

Put gearshift in neutral and after you drop lower unit mark that splined shift shaft on top of the lower unit with a black marker to be sure it doesn't move while you're working on it. I just did my 90HP Yamaha water pump a few months ago and it wasn't all that bad of a job. I bought a tube of that special waterproof driveshaft spline grease for the splines, bolts, impeller assembly, etc. You can find some good instructions with photos at "outboard motor water pump replacement" that are very helpful. A pair of 2"x4" boards screwed to the top of your workbench about 4" apart and hanging over the front about 18" makes a perfect place to set your lower unit while you work on it. Just take your time and good luck!

Thanks for the reply Robert. I have already moved the shaft. I'm not sure why that matters since it is not master splined. I do truly appreciate the advice. If I'm going to encounter a problem with reinstalling it, please advise.

robert graham

Admiral

Grab the shifter shaft with some vise-grip pliers with rags wrapped around shaft so you don't damage the splines, turn prop shaft and move shifter until you locate neutral to match your remote control shifter, which is also in neutral. It must be re-assembled this way for your remote shifter to match your lower unit shifter. Good Luck!

yamatech43

Petty Officer 2nd Class

it doesn't matter if you move the shaft, has no effect whatsoever

robert graham

Admiral

it doesn't matter if you move the shaft, has no effect whatsoever
I'm confident the shifter shaft should be in the neutral position and the remote control lever should also be in the neutral position upon re-assembly, for proper operation.