2009 etec 60HP cranks but won’t start

spacerust

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I bought a used etec recently and now trying to get it working properly. I put new plugs, fuel filter and vst. Has good compression, coils test good, but it cranks and won start. I can get it to start if I spray starting fluid in the intake. I double checked fuel all the way back to the primer bulb and all seems good. I read on another post about the injectors being bad. How can I test this? Or suggestions? It seems like I am overloooking something basic.

Crosbyman

Vice Admiral
injectors need fuel.. it think 30psi is needed and you need to check that. the lift pump can be bad as well as the high pressure pump on the vst

you have a VST and like other VST your may have a "non-displayed" on the parts diagram cone filter ......which can be clogged. it is on the return fuel line from the injectors... carefull nipples break easy. IF you have a cone filter remove the hose clamp carefully .. the hose... use a large wood screw..turn it in the cone and pull it out $10
if you need a new one.

see fuel flow example on a 3 injector etec ...for ref. only

in any event plugs seem to work so it looks like a fuel flow issue...from the tank to the injectors. lots to check as a new ETEC owner you should get a EMM log dump showing EMM faults if any as well as engine history from memory . Best to consult a dealer at this stage.

you should get a service manual and may want to check up with the folks on the ETEC user board under the I2 category

start with the simple stuff... like filters, fuel lines VST cone filter etc....

you can'T realy test injector performance except for electrical conductivity ..about 2 ohms on the coils...work on what you can fix...

Attachments

• vst -fuel flow.JPG
    vst -fuel flow.JPG
    100.2 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

Crosbyman

Vice Admiral
well... I just noticed you have been on the ETEC board :) I doubt you will get better help than the ETEC folks.... no offense to anyone.

I hope you find an inexpensive fix buying a used ETEC without a good service check is always risky....

Last edited:

spacerust

Petty Officer 2nd Class
no error codes were showing up. Turns out the stator was bad. It is all good and running great now.