2008 Volvo Penta 5.0GXI-J High oil pressure

seamore

Recruit
Purchansed my 2008 VP 5.0GXI-J last year and she always ran high oil pressure at 3500-4000 RPMs, 65-75 PSI. Oil levels were alway good and always used genuine Volvo Penta parts, oil and filter etc. After changin oil this off season, oil presure is still the same Checked the manual and it states oil pressure should be 26 PSI at 4000 RPMs. I thought I would change out the oil pressure sensor but do not see a replacement part listed, Does anyone know if this model has a sensor or is the oil pressure or part of the Engine module??

alldodge

Staff member
Checked the manual and it states oil pressure should be 26 PSI at 4000 RPMs.
My guess is this is minimum oil pressure. Most list pressure should be 5 psi for every 1000 rpm, so 4K should show minimum of 20 psi, VP list 26.

Having 65 to 75 is good. The gauge may be a bit off, and best way to verify is remove gauge sender and install hand held mechanical gauge

seamore

Recruit
My guess is this is minimum oil pressure. Most list pressure should be 5 psi for every 1000 rpm, so 4K should show minimum of 20 psi, VP list 26.

Having 65 to 75 is good. The gauge may be a bit off, and best way to verify is remove gauge sender and install hand held mechanical gauge
Thanks alldodge, that is where is was heading, but, I cannot find the pressure sensor listed in parts lists or engine schematic for this engine.

alldodge

Staff member
Look low on port side of block where the remote oil filter attaches. This is where the oil pressure gauge sender and ECM oil pressure sensor should be

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Thanks alldodge, that is where is was heading, but, I cannot find the pressure sensor listed in parts lists or engine schematic for this engine.
parts breakdown on the volvopentastore.com site.