2008 MerCrusier Bravo 3 - Issue Shifting into Foward (Cone Clutch repair)

Vanteer

Recruit
I have a 2008 230 Select Sea Ray with the Bravo 3 outdrive. Had 190 hours this year (yea I know, I do not get out enough) and began having issues with forward shifting. I could shift to forward and there would be a 10 to 30 second delay before the clutch fully engaged (without increasing the RPM). When I increased the RPM, then at 800-900 RPM I would hear the clunk, and it would engage. I have the electronic DTS system, and I attempted adjusting the brass knob at the engine, but did not help.

Finally took it into my boat mechanic. After removing the cone clutch he found glazing on the clutch and the gear mating surface. He called his MerCruiser contact for advice. Replacing the cone clutch and gears is the “standard” repair. But the guy told him that when he was working as a mechanic, they did many fixes using a “resurfacing” technique, with great success. My guy gave me the option of $900.00 labor plus $1800 or so for new gears and cone clutch (and a 2 week wait), or $900.00 labor to resurface by using valve lapping compound and polishing off the glaze (in and out of the shop in 4 days). I decided to go with the resurfacing as everything else was in perfect condition.

Took it out yesterday and it now shifts and engages like new. When I asked my mechanic how this could happen with only 180 hours of use, he told me that old gear lube was most likely the reason. And since I went about 170 hours and 8 years before I had the outdrive serviced, that could be the reason. I hope I made the right choice and can get many more seasons of use from this repair.

Lesson learned, so for all you owners out there, check when you replaced your outdrive lube. I was told that it's a yearly maintenance item.