1999 Merc Bravo 3 cone clutch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mister Boatie

Recruit
Hi,
My 1999 Bravo 3 drive has been occasionally having a problem going into forward gear, usually after a long run at speed...so probably temperature related and probably a cone clutch. The forward gear engagement has always returned within a few minutes (cooling) and then operates normally. My mechanic has made cable adjustments and the problem went away but has now returned (although now less frequent). I have been told that the cone clutch part/design was changed in the Bravo 3 and that the old (1999 and earlier) style cone clutch is no longer available. The drive was opened up and gears seem to be ok so it does appear that just replacing the clutch would do the trick. The cost of the update kit from Merc (including new clutch and gear set, etc.) does not make economic sense to me. I have heard of flipping the cone clutch around (forward/reverse) and lapping or sanding the gear mating surface to get a bit more life out of the upper unit...anyone have any knowledge or experience with this...or any thoughts on a possible source for the older Merc clutch and cam kit (part #52-807375A1). Any help or ideas would be appreciated. Thanks

Scotvl

Cadet
This might be something to try before you replace the cone clutch, I was about to try flipping mine around before I found out about the detent ball and spring sticking. Remove the upper rear cover with 3 bolts on the drive and clean and lube the detent ball and spring(#31 from the diagram ), mine was frozen in the fully extended position and wouldn't collapse when shifting making it delay the shift or hard to get into gear. Mine was very hard to get in gear after I first purchased my 225 with bravo 3 and even slipped and banged into gear launching us forward one time which is why I found out about the fix for this, and it has shifted smooth ever since. Its worth a try and free just tilt the drive up all the way so you lose as little fluid as possible.
fetch

edit to add mine is a 99 also, 1999 crownline 225 ccr 350mpi Bravo 3.

alldodge

Staff member
1997 and 1/2 cone clutch change
The cone clutch has changed, the spring ramp area is different. The yoke groove has been increased by 0.010 in width. The clutch is identified by a number 7 stamped down at the bottom of the spring groove on every clutch

Grater springs changed and has shift cam assembly

2000 models
had many changes in bearings, aluminum lower bearing chimney to allow for narrower needle bearing race. New cone clutch identified with a shallow groove machined on the top flat surface of cone clutch

Thrust bearing and shims are new

Where other changes after 2000 which do not match with later

Mister Boatie

Recruit
Doug Russell Marine in Worcester, MA had the part sitting on the shelf. Russ the parts guy was very helpful. If you're looking for older, difficult to find parts these guys could be a source.

Status
Not open for further replies.