2008 Glastron GXL dash help

TXGlastron

Cadet
I just bought a GLX and I wanted to confirm the function of each switch. Can someone tell me what each of these do? The logos are not clear anymore.

2F3D7FEE-68A3-403C-B87A-DBD30979D4BC.jpeg538F239D-4105-4DE9-A5DC-16A60D62D214.jpegD8643E48-4798-4489-B5A8-B96972631311.jpeg

alldodge

Staff member
First pic, left to right
1 - Nav lights (up Nav and anchor light) (middle off) (down anchor only)
2 - Bilge pump
3 - Depth gauge
4 - Radio
5 - Horn

Switch below the row don't know. Looks like maybe a dimmer for the helm lights

Second pic - Blower

Third pic - Lift the engine hatch with an emergency over ride switch next to it

TXGlastron

Cadet
Thanks for such a quick reply!

That all makes sense, thanks for the confirmation.

What do you mean by “blower” however? That switch has confused me and I haven’t had any guesses.

alldodge

Staff member
All boats with inboard motors has to have a blower. The blower is turned ON prior to ever trying to start the motor. The blower is a safety device that circulates fresh air thru the engine compartment. This is done to evacuate any and all gas fumes if there are any.

If fumes are present when the motor is started you there can be a large explosion and can really mess up your day and anyone around you. Its best to run at least 2 minutes and recommended to run for 5.

Flip it ON while everything is being loaded or boat is getting ready to launch. When ever the motor has been turned OFF, turn it ON prior to starting. Once started it can be turned OFF but many just leave it ON.

Always leave it ON when your pulling skiiers or water toys because the motor gets turned OFF/ON several times.

TXGlastron

Cadet
Thanks so much! I have the 5.0L. This is the first inboard I have owned. I had no idea about this.

Really appreciate all of your help today! I’m certain I have much more to learn in this off season.

Do you happen to have a recommendation for battery tender to connect to this?2612CF79-1F10-4FF4-B841-DCD357932C13.jpeg

alldodge

Staff member
I think that may be to power the hatch motor for override. If those connections go direct to the battery, then they could be used to also charge the Bat, but I would suggest a on-board charger

Do you have 1 or 2 Bats?

Get a marine 1 or 2 bank Bat charger and just connect to 120V house current when at home. Search "marine battery charger" and several come up.

TXGlastron

Cadet
It’s a 2 battery system. 1 deep cycle and 1 for starting. That definitely connects to the batteries. I think it’s a factory option for charging the batteries (it doesn’t appear like an aftermarket add on). I tried to search for Glastron chargers but didn’t see any however.

I’ll definitely look for top rated marine chargers. Thanks again. If you are ever in TX, I owe you a beer.

alldodge

Staff member
I'm sure its factory installed, but you while you could connect charger clips to those connections, it isn't normally done to charge. If your engine hatch cannot be opened manually and must use the hatch drive, then that's there encase the battery goes dead

Look under the hatch and see if there are battery switches, and some kind of a box that connects a heavy wire from the alternator to both Bats. This could be an isolator or charge relay.

If none are there then it may just have 1 Bat switch that is labeled 1, 2 and both. If so, you want to turn the Bat switch OFF when stored and on 1 when starting. Once started it can be shifted to both but never to OFF while running.

TXGlastron

Cadet
You are correct on the switch. It has Off, 1, 2 and 1&2. I do keep it off all of the time when not in use. 1 I believe is for starting and then I am supposed to switch to 2. I was advised not to use 1&2 just so I don’t accidentally discharge my starting battery and have to paddle home.

I’m going to look closer at the connectors I sent the picture of. I thought when I had last looked, it appeared as a charging system and goes to both batteries. But you could be right that it’s not for that.

alldodge

Staff member
One other question, on the depth gauge, why are there 2 positions and not just on/off?
Don't know unless there are either 2 transducers (bow, stern) but don't think they would do that. Or one way it stays ON and the other works off key, or they didn't have a single position switch and just used the double

So far as charging
It depends on where the ALT wire goes. If it goes to the starter post (most likely) then start on 1, switch to both once running. After the motor is shut down to maybe floating, switch to 2. When ready to re-start, switch to 1 and repeat process

alldodge

Staff member
Or you could install and ACR (automatic charge relay) and just leave it on 1 unless need the other Bat to help start

Attachments

• Two Bat one switch and ACR.jpg
    Two Bat one switch and ACR.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 0