2008 4.3L Merc temperature sensor for the alarm

buzzleo

Cadet
2008 MCM 4.3L merc SN 1A063206 I have an intermittent alarm. I unplugged the temp sensor on the side of the thermostat housing (2 wire plug yellow and black wire, yellow wire goes over to the ECM unit on the side of the exhaust riser) and the alarm didn't come back. I removed that sensor. Then used a heat gun and IR temp sensor to observe the ohms. I got ~2000 ohms at 85 F then heated the sensor up, ohms changed fairly uniformly and I stabilized it at 180 F the ohms were ~250. The temp gauge on the boat reads ~180 F pretty steady. Just replaced thermostat recently. Trying to see if alarm temp sensor should be replaced. I don't like to just start throwing parts at it.
When should the alarm come in on these engines?

Last edited:

alldodge

Staff member
All I'm finding in the manual there are no measurements listed for values. It says to use a scan tool (could probably use system monitor if one is installed) and verify that the reading on the scanner matches an IR temp reading.

Looking in an older manual which use similar sensor, it list Low temp is high resistance and high temp is low resistance. The North American standard is 240 to 33 ohms (low to high)

buzzleo

Cadet
didn't know there was a method of scanning this engine....Where is the connection? And thanks for your response!

buzz

alldodge

Staff member
In post 1 your mention yellow goes back to the ECM and also that there is a Yellow wire. With that info I started looking at EFI even though I did look up your serial number. So looking and got side tracked, but you don't have an ECM it has a TBV ignition module.

Being a switch it should be an on/off it should be open below 170 or so degrees and closed above 190 or so

buzzleo

Cadet
This sensor definitely doesn't act like a switch. The ohms changed from between 2000 at room temp to ~250 at 180. I had it up to ~200 it was not open then either.
What I was calling an ECM is the "ignition module" that is bolted to the side of the exhaust riser and has 2 electrical connectors going to it. The yellow wire goes to this ignition module. This engine has a carb.
I guess I could throw a new sensor at it......Was just trying to understand how it worked.
I may get a new sensor and test it the same way I did the old one and see how the new one works!!!

buzzleo

Cadet
when I said it "was not open then either" I misspoke. bottom line is that it doesn't act like a switch!

thanks!

buzzleo

Cadet
I bought another sensor. Same part number. It acts the same way. I put both in boiling water (one at a time) and they stabilized at 200 ohms for the new one and 190 ohms for the old one......Both started out at ~ 2100 ohms. The alarm quit going off when I unplugged this sensor.......Need to do some more checking with that other temp sender. Maybe they are connected some way. I'd like to have a wiring schematic to figure this out!

achris

More fish than mountain goat
You have 3 temperature sensors on that engine. 2 are switches, one for the TKS system, the other is the alarm. The third is the gauge sender, and that's a variable resistance.

Wire colours is going to be the easiest way to isolate which sensor is which.

Tan with a blue strip - alarm
Tan - gauge
Orange wire and a white wire - TKS system.

Each of these are completely independent of the others.

The only switch that has a black wire and a yellow wire, and goes to the ignition module, is the oil pressure switch.

Here's a wiring diagram for you....
https://boatinfo.no/lib/mercruiser/manuals/mercruiser41.html#/28

Chris....

buzzleo

Cadet
Chris,
OK........well I need to do some checking! cause the plug I removed from the temp sensor that is threaded into the side of the thermostat housing has a yellow and black wire (female plug) the yellow wire has continuity from the plug at he temp sensor to the female yellow wire on the plug at the ignition module 8 pin......maybe I can take some pics tomorrow.....
the wiring on this engine does not match that wiring schematic. I have a pic of the engine info attached

Attachments

• photo319517.jpg
    photo319517.jpg
    588.8 KB · Views: 0

Fun Times

Staff member
As mentioned your engine is carbureted so other than checking engine hours a scan tool won't help much as there's no connector to plug in for other engine data parameters to read.

The over-temp warning horn ought to come on right around the 196 degree mark which is the sender with the Yellow and Black wires....The manual shows the yellow and black wires as an oil sensor/sender which is a misprint within that particular TKS service manual.

You mentioned you replaced the thermostat, did the warning horn sound before or after the new thermostat?

Did you use a OEM gasket with brass type rivets that run through the gasket? And if so did you install the gasket on dry (no sealant)? Due to if either situation occurred during installation then they could affect the warning alarm system due to loss of good grounding.

If the above info doesn't seem to be a known concern for your situation and the alarm hasn't came back on for some time/at all yet while the engine is running especially around when you first experienced the horn, 'Then there's a decent chance the horn may not come back on for sometime to come since you already unplugged the temp sensor wiring as there have been other similar incidents / reported experiences of a ghost type alarm with these TB5 (Thunder Bolt 5) ignition system engines within around your engine model years.

The fix for them was/seemed to be unplug all the connectors to the ICM (Ignition Control Module) and temp sensor because as you know the yellow wire runs to the ICM which is part of the overheat alarm system too.., 'Check/inspect/clean the wiring connectors ensuring the wire pins are making contact by carefully/softly pushing wires inwards while reinstalling the plug connectors and usually you won't experience what seems like an intermittent ghost overheat alarm for sometime / if ever. If the warning horn comes back after a long while, unplug it again and see if it stays off for awhile.
Image result for Mercruiser Thermostat Gasket

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
but using your serial number it comes back as a mpi motor
1A030370 thru 1A603239 CAT # 90-884716002

Fun Times

Staff member
but using your serial number it comes back as a mpi motor
1A030370 thru 1A603239 CAT # 90-884716002
The other manual you found that shows a ECM is due to the sensor in question is part of the Digital reading for digital gauges, Scan Tools, ECM's and ICM type systems vs an Analog reading gauge system, etc... That sensor with the Yellow and Black wire connector is used on EFI's, MPI's, and carbureted models used for the ECM's to read and the carbureted ICM to read as well.
Also have a look at page 4B-14 and 15 of manual #18 for carb wiring vs the EFI wiring that manual covers as well, http://boatinfo.no/lib/mercruiser/manuals/mercruiser18.html#/232

Serial number 1A063206 comes up as an MERCRUISER 4.3L ALPHA 1.7R Model Number 42110G5US, Parts Catalog 4.3L CARB ALPHA/BRAVO #90-884714003, https://www.mercruiserparts.com/4-3l...650000-thru-1a

Last edited:

ralphy670

Petty Officer 1st Class
I had the exact same issue on my 2007 4.3 TKS with the same yellow and black wires. I tested the sensor with the same method you did as well. What solved the issue for me was cleaning the pins on the EMC and the connector.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Is this an MPI or tks then ? I don’t think the mpi has any such sensor on the T stat. Pretty sure the tks has one for the tks system though ??

ralphy670

Petty Officer 1st Class
Mine was a tks and yes it did have the same sensor which controlled the alarm. If has a black and yellow wire and was on the thermostat housing.