2007 Optimax Specifications Please

chopperdog

Seaman
Greetings,

I just purchased a 2007 Trophy 2002 wa, with a Mercury Optimax 175. I believe it is the OTNG Optimax, because it has the 'stylized globe' decal on the engine cover.

I would like to find a list of expected Engine Temps (idle, etc), pressures, oil usage, etc. And any advice.
I just want to educate myself and keep on eye on the engine.

Took it out today, did great, I think. This is my first outboard,hence the need for advice.
Temps about 148 F at 1,600 rpm, 100 F at 4,000 rpm.
As I accelerated from 1,600 rpm to 4,000 rpm, had some cavitation, when going against current.
Going with current, had no cavitation and indicated 32kts at 4,000 rpm, 100 f.

Some, but very little, visible grey smoke at idle. Is this normal?
I did not measure oil burn amount, but will next time.

Thank you very much,

Rob

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: 2007 Optimax Specifications Please

Rob, That motor will have thermostats that control the temp at low speeds. The thermostats will open at about 140*F, so your low speed temp seems about right. At high speed(say 2000+RPM), the poppit valve opens and water temp is not controlledas well, but I still think your temp readings are fine.

You might change the water separator on the motor and waterpump impeller for preventive maintenance. Change the gear oil as well and grease her up well. You might see what kind of oil the OEM specifies. I think they can use any kind of TC-WIII, but a DFI oil may be better. A water pressure gauge is a good investment, as it will help you keep an eye on the waterpump condition. Get a 0-15PSI gauge if you can, as water pressure in the Mercs is low. Make sure the "under the cowling" oil tank stays full. Only add oil to the tank in the boat, and make sure the lid fits well as it needs to hold pressure.

chopperdog

Seaman
Re: 2007 Optimax Specifications Please

Chris, Thank you very much for your advice.
Boat is running great. Family loves it.
Sorry for the late reply, lots of getting used to the boat and having fun.
Thanks again,
Rob