2007 mercruiser 3.0L no compression

saaabe

Seaman
hello, this is the first time I"m in this forum. I need help with a 2007 3.0L 4 cylinder Mercuries engine. I was on the water running about 5100 rpm and the engine die the drive belt broke and the engine overheated but it did not run much time like this only a minute o so, the problem is I replace the drive belt and now the engine does not start also no compression in the pistons already check timing gears OK when they meet at mark piston #1 is all the way to the top so the gears are on time. the engine turn faster than normally I check gas is OK check spark OK too at this point am stuck is not the crankshaft because pistons move but have not check yet the camshaft may this be the problem can any body have a subjection I don't want to keep taking the engine apart if I don't have to thank you....:confused::confused::(

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Re: 2007 mercruiser 3.0L no compression

At 5100 rpm you may have just blown the motor ,holed some pistons, or bent some valves

daveabs

Recruit

perform a cylinder leakage test. put a piston at tdc COMPRESSION STROKE WHEN THE VALVES SHOULD BE SHUT, PUT COMPRESSED AIR IN THE CYLINDER AND SEE IF IT LEAKS OUT THE INTAKE OR EXHAUST VALVES

saaabe

Seaman

am think of taking the head of the engine, the engine still on warranty so I don't want to mess with it to much thank you for the info will try the compress air first

fishinpa

Petty Officer 1st Class

If this is still under warranty you best take it in and have it looked at before ya go tearin into things !

they will i am sure let you know what and if they will cover damages .
then decide what you are going to do with it..

fish

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Check your compression gauge. I know of no way you would have no compression on all 4 cylinders at the same time.

saaabe

Seaman

If this is still under warranty you best take it in and have it looked at before ya go tearin into things !

they will i am sure let you know what and if they will cover damages .
then decide what you are going to do with it..

fish

thank you will do that so like that I'll decide what to do :)

saaabe

Seaman

Check your compression gauge. I know of no way you would have no compression on all 4 cylinders at the same time.

that is the thing test it with two different compression gages even if I put my finger were the spark plug goes feel like a breeze

fat fanny

Lieutenant Commander

Have you pulled the head? 5100 rpm is high fo a 3.0. And if it's under waranty what are you doing tearing it apart take it in if not your impatience is surely gonna void your waranty. I also suggest you read your manual and or service manual to ensure your operating under maximum rpm ranges for your own sake. Good luck!!!

saaabe

Seaman

Have you pulled the head? 5100 rpm is high fo a 3.0. And if it's under waranty what are you doing tearing it apart take it in if not your impatience is surely gonna void your waranty. I also suggest you read your manual and or service manual to ensure your operating under maximum rpm ranges for your own sake. Good luck!!!

thank you, you are right on I should not mess with it but as you said am getting impatience this engine only has 32 hour on it. Also, the thing is the owner manual that came with this boat did not said anything about what is the max rpm in this engine. would you have any idea of what is the max rpm for this engine????

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral

the drive belt broke
the alternator / circulating pump belt?

already check timing gears OK when they meet at mark piston #1 is all the way to the top so the gears are on time.
you pulled the harmonic balancer and front timing cover off?

I don't think there will be any warranty after you took the engine apart...

I can't fathom 0 psi on all 4 cylinders.... not if the crank and pistons are going around.... they're gonna make some wind even if all the valves were all smashed....

saaabe

Seaman

4400 - 4800 RPM at wide open throttle (WOT).

Thank you for the info Hopefully the new engine am getting if the merc warranty Approves it I will not make the same mistake of running it a 5100 rpm

saaabe

Seaman

the alternator / circulating pump belt?

you pulled the harmonic balancer and front timing cover off?

I don't think there will be any warranty after you took the engine apart...

I can't fathom 0 psi on all 4 cylinders.... not if the crank and pistons are going around.... they're gonna make some wind even if all the valves were all smashed....

yes the balancer and the timing cover are off as am writing, I gess better put them back:eek::eek:

Don S

Leave it apart and take it in.
With all the paint marks broken, it will be obvious you took it apart.
Admit it to them, and see what happens. Lie to them and you will loose for sure.

saaabe

Seaman

Leave it apart and take it in.
With all the paint marks broken, it will be obvious you took it apart.
Admit it to them, and see what happens. Lie to them and you will loose for sure.

already on the shop they were glad I did the job for them. One of the piston melted in the block thank you for the advise I don't like to lie tell the truth no matter what it help to keep friends or make new ones will post pic so can see the damage once again Don S thank you for your advise !!!!!!!:):)

saaabe

Seaman

new engine coming hopefully will be in the water next Friday:):)
question are all 3.0l mercruiser LH rotation I found out today my is it does it really matter beside for props ????

Don S

Yes, they are all LH rotation.

saaabe

Seaman

Yes, they are all LH rotation.

thank you good to Know am about to order a 14.5/19/4 prop from Iboats to replace the original 14.5/17/3 hope to improve speed !!!