Re: 2007 Lincoln Navigator for Towing?
Mountaineer = Explorer Available with 4.6 engine.
Navigator = Expedition Available with 5.4 engine.
Either will do a great job of pulling a boat, if you stay within its stated weight limitations. Both are really bullet proof vehicles, and probably not fully appreciated as a long lasting, trouble free vehicle.
With the increasing price of fuel, both are actually very good values on the used car market. The same goes with a Chevy Tahoe and their GMC counterpart--more good values. But, stay away with any 4.8 GM engine and the 5.3 engine that switches over to 6 cylinders when driving steadily--complete dogs.
I had an Expedition with the 4.6 engine, and got 19.75 mpg on the first tankful of gas. The 4.6 Explorer should pull about 20 mpg on the open highway. The Navigator should be more like 15-18 mpg on the open road. Subtract 5 mpg for towing a normal size boat.
I run a F250 diesel crewcab 2wd, and it's a tow'in machine. I always said it would pull a house. Last year, I really pulled a house down with the truck. And, it gets 20 mpg on the highway--and will easily last 400,000 miles.