2007 DF200 dies with Low Battery Voltage alarm on the SMIS gauges

mikey1041

Cadet
Re: 2007 DF200 dies with Low Battery Voltage alarm on the SMIS gauges

so, yeah, I have checked and rechecked all the connections and am convinced that there is not a low battery condition......so whatever is going on, is beyond me.

Taking it in to the dealer on Monday.

Rich Hargis

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Mike replaced a battery with a starting type one and it is still doing the Low battery voltage alarm. One thing that is strange is the temp gauge goes up to 215 degrees. We know that the engine is not running that hot and the temp alarm does not sound. Could the ECM think that the engine is way over heated and shut the motor down instead of going into the "SLOW" mode?

Mikey took the boat to the dealer today, turns out the ECM was killing the engine because of the high temps (Had 28 over heat readings in the memory) No record of Low Battery Voltage in the scan. Dealer said that the V6 motors do not get enough water to run on the hose for an extended period of time, they run two hoses when testing motors at the shop. Mikey took the boat to the ramp and ran it for 25 min with the temp maxing out at 150 degrees and no alarms.

99yam40

Fleet Admiral

never heard of ECU shutting down motor due to overheat, limit RPM yes but not shut it down.

He needs to check out the whole alarm system also to see what works and what does not

mikey1041

Cadet

oops

Last edited:

99yam40

Fleet Admiral

Did temp show overheat again and was it running on muffs?

So the shop never ran it to see what was showing up on laptop and why did Rich say it ran fine on the water?
You 2 need to get your stories straight

mikey1041

Cadet

HOORAY! Problem resolved!

So, the dealer hooked it up to the SDS. readout shows NO "low battery voltage" alarms. :confused:

however, it had 28 OVERHEAT alarms! Chatting with Jerry at Pacific Marine Supply, he wondered if I had tried this in the water, as opposed to on the trailer...which I had not. He then asked me about the cooling system, which has a new impeller, and new t-stats. He asked how I hook up the hose, either to the head, or to the lower unit on ears, or both.

I told him I just use the muffs. I read somewhere that you use the hose port on the back of the power unit to flush it WITHOUT running it.

he said "AHA!"

He told me that when they run any of the v6 motor in the shop for more than 5 minutes, they ALWAYS use 2 hoses, one on the head, one on the lower unit. He hooked mine up this way and it ran for 20 minutes without any alarms or other issues.

I picked it up, took it across the street and dropped it in the water, started it, and sat there with it running for 25 minutes..........temp never got over 142.......NO ALARMS! :clap2:

Now, have to figure out why the Suzuki SMIS gauges report the over heat as a "low battery voltage" alarm.....dealer thinks the gauges might need a "firmware update".....so, something new to learn! :)

Thanks for all the advice guys, it is much appreciated.

mikey1041

Cadet

so, I finally got to take her out for a spin, and man, does she run good!

hopefully I can save somebody some time if they have the same situation.....still not sure why it doesnt show up as overheat though.......