2007 angler 22 18' boat ground point(s)

Old No 7

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi
I have been having power connection issues this season and I was told I should check the boat ground conection point. I have no idea where that is though. I took apart my battery switch cleaned it up and wire brushed all the wire lugs and now everything seems OK, but I'd like to check the ground just in case before I put it in the water.

My issue was one day I could fire up the motor and everything powered up fine, the next it was like the battery was dead. (Both batteries). I had both checked and they are fine so I'm pretty sure it's a connection issue. It may have been the switch and is now fixed, but I'd just like to be sure. The switch had some black gunk and moisture on the contacts. I cleaned it off and spread around some of the extra grease and it seems OK now.

A friends boat has a large brass or copper piece on the bottom but I don't see anything like that on mine. I'm worried now that it's been painted with bottom paint and maybe that the wire connection had some corosion on it.

Does anyone know where it might be on my boat and what itb looks like? Does the ground wire off the batteries go to the motor or to this ground point first?

tThe motor is a 90hp Merc 2 stroke if that matters

Thanks!

Mike

Boatist

Rear Admiral
Re: 2007 angler 22 18' boat ground point(s)

Your ground point is the negitive battery post. Most people will run that negitive battery wire to a ground bus bar.

If the motors ground wire connect directly to the battery that is good.

You can also have it go to your ground buss bar but if you do the wire from the battery to the bus bar should be at least one size larger. If you have large stereo or other high drain items then the wire should be a couple of sizes larger.

The large ground plate is for radios that need a ground plane. It can also be good for lighting protection.
Most VHF antennas do not need a ground plane. The antenna should tell you if it is needed.

If your boat is Aluminum do not install any copper plate connected to the hull.

If your problem was the motor would turn over very show or not turn over then it could be several thing.
First make sure the battery is fully charged. Next make sure all the connections to the battery and the motor are clean an tight.
It can also be the battery switch or a stater solenoid.

If you catch it when it is failing and have a volt meter and a friend then it is easy to find the problem.
Start by checking the battery voltage on the start battery while cranking the engine. Battey should not drop below 10 volts on a large motor or 11 volts on a small motor.
If the Battery voltage stays high and the motor is still slow then put your negitive lead on the motor PLUS wire and the positive wire on the battery post. Watch meter while someone cranks the motor. You should see very little voltage here. 1 volt or less. If it higher then measure accrosed each conection.
Battery post to the battery switch input.
Battery switch input to battery switch output.
Also the battery ground post to the motor ground.
Anywhere you see voltage while cranking then that is you problem.
This is one place where a swing arm meter works better that a digital meter but either will work.

It can also be caused by fule, water or oil in a cylinder.

Good luck

Old No 7

Petty Officer 2nd Class

OK All That I understand. I will check for the voltage between the motor and battery and the other places you mentioned tonight.

Is there typically a ground point to the water on small boats? Something through or atached to the hull I should be making sure is clean?

Thanks for the help!

Mike

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

No -- for the electrical items on your boat (or any boat) a ground path to the water is not needed. Ground planes are needed for purposes specified above but they are not needed for electrics to work propeerly. Ground on your boat is the negative terminal of the battery "period". Even if that terminal connects to a ground buss which is simply a place where multiple ground connections can be made, the negative terminal of the battery is still the ultimatel ground point. Any connection between it and the devices (engine, lights, radios, locators, etc) is a potential point of failure just like similar junctions in the positive line.