2006 Ford 6-spd tranny - good or bad?

KaGee

Admiral
Looking at 2006 Explorer with the 3 valve 4.6 V8 and 6 speed auto-trans 4x4.
The engine has some history behind it in other vehicles and seems solid. The tranny was new in 2006. I like the engine for added power for towing my boat and from what I read, gets the same fuel mileage as the V6. It only comes with the 6 spd tranny.

Any Ford guys with any pro or con to say about this new transmission? :confused:

mrfixitman40

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 2006 Ford 6-spd tranny - good or bad?

Kagee I work at a ford dealer and we haven't seen anything with the six speed like the five iin the explorer so far they have been very dependable just checked and no tsb's for problems either

KaGee

Admiral

Kagee I work at a ford dealer and we haven't seen anything with the six speed like the five iin the explorer so far they have been very dependable just checked and no tsb's for problems either

Thanks! That's the kind of inside info I was looking for.

mrfixitman40

Petty Officer 1st Class

any other ?'s feel free to ask if you are looking at used get me a vin and i will run it and see if it has anything unusual going on

wildspeed

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have a 07 Exp EL with the 6 speed, so far so good, but didn't pull anything yet with it

rentalguy1

Petty Officer 3rd Class

If it's a Ford automatic tranny, then it's a time bomb. That is, unless it's a C5 or an AOD. They have been built with less than stellar quality since the A4LD came out.

I'm not a Ford Tech, but I have been a Ford owner for years, and I most likely will always be one.

QuadManiac

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hey MrFixit.. I've got an 02' 4.6 Exp, tow pkg, with the dreaded stock auto tranny. When I go to replace it, as I will have to do soon cuz the shifting is gettin real bad, is the 6 speed drop in replaceable? I'd love to go to a different tranny and get rid of the pervasive problems of that 'fuzzy logic' POS that's in there now.

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

If it's a Ford automatic tranny, then it's a time bomb. That is, unless it's a C5 or an AOD. They have been built with less than stellar quality since the A4LD came out.

I'm not a Ford Tech, but I have been a Ford owner for years, and I most likely will always be one.

Ohh Plzz you old redneck.......:D

mrfixitman40

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hey MrFixit.. I've got an 02' 4.6 Exp, tow pkg, with the dreaded stock auto tranny. When I go to replace it, as I will have to do soon cuz the shifting is gettin real bad, is the 6 speed drop in replaceable? I'd love to go to a different tranny and get rid of the pervasive problems of that 'fuzzy logic' POS that's in there now.

you would have to change wiring harness and processer in order to do a drop in depending on your shifting concern they updated the solonoid pack in the trans (only a half hour job) which corrected most of the problems

QuadManiac

Petty Officer 1st Class

With 80,000 miles and some towing, will the solenoid pack fix my problem, or has driving with the hard and stuttering shifts for a couple of years damaged it now beyond repair?

KaGee

Admiral

With 80,000 miles and some towing, will the solenoid pack fix my problem, or has driving with the hard and stuttering shifts for a couple of years damaged it now beyond repair?

Well, I pulled the trigger on the 06 Explorer. Hope it was the right decision.

As for you Quad, the Ford Stutter is common . On the Escape I just traded, I had 98000 on it. I deveolped the stutter twice and cured both times by a fluid change and an additive put in... sorry, I forget what it's called, but it was a Ford product.

mrfixitman40

Petty Officer 1st Class

is it just a hard shift or is there slipping if it is just a hard shift chances are the soloniod pack and fluid flush would fix it

mrfixitman40

Petty Officer 1st Class

Kagee pm me the vin and i will check it for recalls and processor updates plus see any work that has been done to it

mrfixitman40

Petty Officer 1st Class

i sent you a copy of the oasis report everything looks like it is good to go

KaGee

Admiral

Thanks! That's great!

QuadManiac

Petty Officer 1st Class

is it just a hard shift or is there slipping if it is just a hard shift chances are the soloniod pack and fluid flush would fix it

Sometimes normal, sometimes a jarring, hard shift, sometimes a big stutter... not like slipping, but it sets up a big oscillation that wont go away until i lift my foot off the gas.

Feels like one clutch is trying to engage before the other disengages... but that's just a gut feeling.

mrfixitman40

Petty Officer 1st Class

what speeds does this happen mostly is it up around 45-50

QuadManiac

Petty Officer 1st Class

No. lower speeds and not under full load. Most typical when Im just cruising along. If I get on it, everything seems to work well.

Typically, 1st - 2nd is (i think, but might be 2nd to 3rd) is the one that causes the stuttering or oscillation - it can be very violent, other gears can be nice, or sometimes very hard (solid) shifting... and the locking converter can be very clunky sounding. All of these symptoms are variable... when the engine and tranny are cold, never happens. When it is hot, it seems to be dependent on the phase of the moon, or something... i have'nt been able to determine any corrolating events that cause it to happen, and I'm an engineer, so I look for those things!

Once in gear, everything is just fine, no slipping or any other evidence of problems. Only occurs during shifting, and typically on upshifts only.

dolluper

Captain

Ford >>Carp ...weak pumps, add a vane usually cures, bad solinoids caused by carpy wiring