2006 Crownline Slow to Plane

Rob4044

Cadet
I recently bought a 2006 Crownline 210LS with a 5.0 Volvo GXI SX (270 HP) and the boat is very slow to plane and can't even pull my wife (120 lbs) out of the water on a slalom ski. Once I do get the boat on plane it gets up and goes. WOT is about 5,000 rpms. The prop is a 14.25X17 so I would think it should get out of the hole better. The previous owner installed trims tabs (I now know why) which do help but I just have to think that this boat should get up faster. Should I be looking at changing props? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

ahicks

Captain
Sounds like heavy boat. So you need more low end grunt without changing your wide open throttle rpm too much. Have you considered a 4 blade prop?

Rob4044

Cadet
I'm for trying anything. Will a 4 blade make that much difference. I'd rather having power out of the hole/faster plane over high end for sure. I found another threat with a similar issue and here is what they recommended.

The diamond 4 is the cheapest prop. $135 It will difinately help get you up on plane, and you'll be able to stay on plane at slower speeds which is helpful with watersports.

ELE4 is a decent 4 blade. It would be the cheapest 4 blade Stainless Its $275 similar to the diamond 4 in performance, but it will be a lot more durable because its stainless.

The Revolution 4 is a good all around prop. $489 probably be a couple mph faster on top end, over the ELE4.

The High Five $479 (or $379 for the quicksilver version) is great if your mainly doing watersports. Its not a fast prop, but it pulls well, and throttle/speed control is very good at the speeds that your pulling skiers and wakeboarders.

tpenfield

Staff member
I would want to make sure it is not an issue with the boat itself rather than engine or propeller.

Is the engine reaching a decent RPM while trying to get out of the hole? The propeller does not seem overly pitched for that boat.

Rob4044

Cadet
If I remember right, it gets to about 3,500 RPM coming out of the hole. Reasonable?

89retta

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Try a Turning point 4 blade 17". I have the 4.3 GXI and it pulls my 200lbs buddy out of the water no problem.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
A 21 ft with a 5 liter is not going to be a ball of fire out of the hole. The engine is just too small for good torque, it makes the 270hp by moving the torque curve higher in the rev range and sacrifices low rpm torque doing so. What is the WOT range for that engine? 4600 - 5000 rpm, or 4800 - 5200 rpm?

Rob4044

Cadet
I'm not certain but guessing 4800-5200 based on what I'm seeing. I might try putting on a hydrofoil to see if that helps me plane faster. I had one on my old Crownline and it made a difference. After that I'll try a 4 blade prop.

dizzy1

Seaman
My 20' 2007 Reinell with 5.0 was same. Would get up but wanted more pop for wakeboarding and when pulling my large 4 seater tube. Did the trim tabs which helped but still needed more. Last year put a Hustler 14.5x17 4 blade prop on and it was night and day difference. Yanks large 250 guys on wakeboards right up and easily pulls my big tube now. Do have to be careful on full throttle. If smooth enough and floor it long enough usually creep about 500rpms over redline. But I rarely go full speed or anything so works perfectly for my needs.

Rob4044

Cadet
Thanks for the advice on the 4 blade. That sounds like what I need. Appreciate the help guys!