2006 32 Ft Suntracker Party Cruiser Towing

milkomcneese

Recruit
I just bought a 2006 32ft Suntracker Party Cruiser. I am having a iron trailer being built for this boat with a third axle due to the weight. Dry weight of the boat with no trailer is 5400lbs. I will be towing the boat from Tennessee back to Louisiana, mostly interstate. My question is, with having the cabin height on this boat of 12 ft 5 in, what speed is recommended on towing. I am hearing from some people that if you go over 45mph it is possible some of the windows will blow out. I dont believe that is true, but this is the first time I have towed a boat like this. My truck is a 2012 F250 Fx4 4x4 so I am sure I could tow 60-65 if need be. Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

Bondo

Staff member
Re: 2006 32 Ft Suntracker Party Cruiser Towing

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,... What's the Beam of the hull,....

It's Width will determine what permit is needed to haul it, how many chase cars, 'n at what speeds you can run,...

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Your width should be 8' 6" and a 12' cabin height while trailer mounted will make for an interesting trip. I would STRONGLY suggest that you look into bracing and taping windows........ that will be a long trip. The weight and length will make your rig a prime target for wind and being pushed around. I would not advise running the speed limit unless conditions are perfect.

When a loaded 18 wheeler passes you..... do not be surprised when you are sucked into the other lane.

You are having a trailer built? Do not skimp on the brakes.

Last edited:

milkomcneese

Recruit

Yes the boat is 8'6 wide and does not require a permit. I am not too concerned about the windows, its mainly the sliding glass door. The trailer I am having built is going to be a little more heavy duty than the factory ones. Double 4 inch tubing and three axles. I understand coming back thru Tennessee I will have pleasure of going up hills and down so i am sure my truck will not like me too much. But I think 60-65 would be a safe cruising speed, IF the wind is not blowing me around at 40knots.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

That should be an 8'6" beam boat.... no permits or chase cars required

I've not heard of a 45 mph speed limit and windows blowing out of party toons but if I were pulling it and had that concern I would ask the manufacturer.... PREFERABLY in writing.....

As for towing that boat with that truck you are more than fine weight wise but the only issue I see is that if is HUGE for it's light weight and has a LOT of surface area... wind could make it do some scary stuff at speed so be alert for cross winds.... If you see a semi or van out in front of you do a sudden sidestep or wiggle slow down asap..... About the window issue you mention, I have my doubts BUT if that is real I'd say it's most likely to occur when meeting the turbulence behind a truck head on at highway speed .... I would be less concerned on divided highway.

EDIT: op posted while I was typing LOL

Your truck won't even be phased by the weight in the hills ... Just keep a close watch on the wind

my truck is a 350 but it's 13 years older than yours with 330,000 miles on it... I tow 20'000 lbs behind it at 70-75 in those same hills

Last edited:

milkomcneese

Recruit

Yeah, some people tow these same boats with 1500 half tons. Towing shouldnt been an issue. I am just cautious of the winds damaging the boat. Of course I am going to take down the front awning and back awning including polls where they are not damaged. Also, strap down the front and back with straps but I am still cautious about the windows and doors being damaged.

26aftcab454

Lieutenant Commander

The company I work for builds sliding glass doors for travel trailers. The same distributors supply the pontoon boat industry. I was the Technical and Warranty Adviser for many years. I have many years field and lab of structural testing . Provided the " marine glazed" rubber gaskets are not rotten around the glass, they will be fine . Be sure they are CLOSED AND LOCKED ! No offense to Roster but you do not want air circulating inside putting pressure on the walls and ceiling. The products are designed to preform to a higher standard than the walls themselves.That siding is realy lightweight. The only issue could be from a rock flung up off the road breaking the tempered glass. Possible but not likely.
puting tape in the shape of an X does nothing.

milkomcneese

Recruit

What's speed do you recommend trailering down the interstate?

calvinator

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have a 30' Crest double decker with canvas walls, lots of furniture, dual axle trailer, 350lb motor on the rear.

Your trailer needs to have PERFECT brakes. Make sure you stress that with the trailer builder, maybe even upgrade to dual axle brakes if it is just a few hundred more. I have had surge and disc brakes on trailers. Both very functional, and yeah, the disc brakes were marginally better, but at what cost on your new trailer. (my view would be an extra $100-150 per axle... but no more)

I run a 2500 Suburban. No sweat highway at 60-65mph. You'll feel more comfortable at 60 though b/c it feels like you have more reaction time. I also have a motorhome that basically goes 60-65. Just remember to drive it in your comfort level. If all those speeding motorists want to do 85mph --- let them pass and go on in life. Your mission is safe towing....

Just gear down for those hills, keep the engine RPMS up and you'll be just fine. Let your 2500 transmission and rear end gearing do its job!

Keep all the windows closed. If they are open, all the wind rushing around might tear up the insides...

Wind and passing trucks will give you some grief. If it is windy, nothing you can do except slow down. When trucks pass on the left, their wind bow pushes you to the right. When I see them coming on the left, I move my rig very close to the center line so when they pass they push me right -- back into the middle of the lane I'm in.

Last tip..... Don't drive with your trucks windows open. Keep your window closed and use your AC to keep cool. At least for me, all that rushing wind noise on the highway adds a level of "noise stress" for me.

Good luck with it all.. consider it a life adventure !

The Rooster

Ensign

The company I work for builds sliding glass doors for travel trailers. The same distributors supply the pontoon boat industry. I was the Technical and Warranty Adviser for many years. I have many years field and lab of structural testing . Provided the " marine glazed" rubber gaskets are not rotten around the glass, they will be fine . Be sure they are CLOSED AND LOCKED ! No offense to Roster but you do not want air circulating inside putting pressure on the walls and ceiling. The products are designed to preform to a higher standard than the walls themselves.That siding is realy lightweight. The only issue could be from a rock flung up off the road breaking the tempered glass. Possible but not likely.
puting tape in the shape of an X does nothing.

I'm offended but I defer to the expert. :D At least I had a good suggestion about double checking the height w/ the A/C. And I agree w/Slip, 57.242 mph for the interstate !!!

Travis91

Cadet

is your F250 diesel or gas? makes a big difference.