2005 Yamaha SX230 Help

brett169

Cadet
I am a recent boating Newbie who was being tossed around in a 1987 165 Glassport. Of course I decided to upgrade and have spent the better part of the last month checking out 20 foot bowriders in the 25-30K range. I had narrowed it down to the Glasstron GX205, the Caravelle LS207 and the Yamaha SX230. Because I have two young kids, I liked the layout, the fantastic swim platform, and the no-prop drive of the Yamaha hands down over the other two. The Yamaha dealer would also take my Yamaha motorcycle in trade. So - despite my reservations about buying the Yamaha without a test ride, I bought it. BIG MISTAKE! The no-wake handling is worse than I expected and the noise level is un-acceptable. I sure wish boat tests were more honest. All they mentioned about noise was that "it's un-nerving running at 10,000 rpm." I can "learn" my way around the handling but I can't live with the noise. I still love the layout and the swim platform but the noise will drive me crazy - any help is appreciated. I'm no longer 2bigformyboat now I'm just deaf. Buyers remorse sucks. :eek:

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 2005 Yamaha SX230 Help

What can I say, 2BFB? :( <br /><br />Would you buy a car without a test drive? Would you buy a house without a walk-thru?<br /><br />The only way I can see to un-make that mistake is to trade it for a boat you have been on the water with and like.<br /><br />Call it an expensive education.

brett169

Cadet

Yeah no **** - I posted my mistake for the benefit of others. Now that you've repeated what I've already said, any noise abatement advice?

KCook

Lieutenant Commander

Laying in sound deading material under the hatch for the motor compartment(s) would help some. Except with the exhaust noise. Those are motorcycle engines in the 230. If your motorcycle dealer cannot come up with additional muffling for the exhaust, I would say you are up the creek. Try helmets or sound deading ear muffs?<br /><br />Kelly Cook

brett169

Cadet

Any heat problems for the engines using additional material or mufflers?

KCook

Lieutenant Commander

The wrong muffler can cause serious problems. Which is why I suggested you do this through your Yamaha dealer. As JB said, you may have to chalk this one up to experience. And sell/trade the boat.<br /><br />Kelly

brett169

Cadet

Good news is my wife went out with me today and does'nt think it's loud - says its quieter than the old birdbath we had. Looking into Cobra steering Mods to help with docking and I'm already learning how to pilot the jets. Maybe there is hope.