2005 VP 5.7 Gi-e, Rough Idle No Power to Plane

LamathVader

Recruit
Early May 2021, the boat was de-winterized and ran perfectly throughout the entire 2021 summer season and yes, we ran it as hard as we did in the previous year with water activities. I have 4 kids and they love the watersports. I would estimate, at this point we put almost another 50 hours on the engine with perfect operations.

Here we go again, during the very last lake run, the boat was filled with gasoline. It has a 55-gallon tank and approximately 50 gallons was pumped. Upon de-trailering the boat, it appeared to run a little rougher than normal during the idle from the “No Wake” zone. Upon throttle up, the loss of power returned and while I was able to plane, I knew this day was going to be cut short, so we immediately headed back to the dock. This time there was NO loud backfire or thump from the engine area so my first thought, BAD GAS? No way but it is possible. I also recalled the issues I experienced last year, so I had a second Camshaft Position Sensor at the house.

Knowing the Camshaft Position Sensor was the issue the previous year, I installed another new Camshaft Position Sensor; however, this time it DID NOT fix the rough idle or power loss. It was getting colder out now, and I had to winterize it and store for the winter season.

Ok so now it’s May 2022 and the boat was de-winterized. It did start right up, however idle was still rough. Water did not flow correctly through the outdrive “muffs” to the impeller upon startup which caused the impeller to break apart. No big deal, I cleaned all debris from the water-cooling system and since I had the thermostat assembly already apart, installed a new thermostat and gasket.

Because the new Camshaft Position Sensor did NOT fix the problem and I believe the issue to be Ignition related, I decided to investigate the “distributor” system. Upon inspection, I noticed the rotor was warped which I assumed caused the lack of spark to “fire” correctly. I also noticed there was a mark on the distributor which indicated it had been previously removed at some point. Not sure why, but it was.

I order an upgraded distributor by Titan Performance and installed the part using the TDC Cyl#1. I lined up and distributor marking alignment approach found in the Volvo Workshop Manual. With the new distributor assembly installed, the boat did run with the same hesitation and continued power loss.

Also, the distributor did NOT seat/seal properly onto the block using the new mounting bolt, so roughly 2 to 3 quarts of oil was pushed out of the block and into the bilge.

After cleanup of the all the oil, I once again re-seated and aligned the distributor with TDC #1. Also installed a new Titan Ignition Coil to rule that out. The engine starts, however appears to idle rough and I assume the same power loss is present.

I do want to point out, and this is where I need some further clarification, I cannot seem to get the distributor assembly completely lined up with the “tang” centered on the #8 of the distributor base. At TDC Cyl#1 the tang is either behind or in front of the “8” mark and even though I can rotate the base to align it, something doesn’t seem right to me when the following the instructions to keep the “flat” area of the distributor lined up with the engine. I have pictures if they can be shared somehow.

If you recall, I mention the very first time I had issue, I though the engine “jumped time”? Could time be an indicator the timing chain is off a tooth, which causes all these ignition issues? The only reason I debunk this is because it ran almost 50 hours perfectly. Unless finally timing was so off the ECM could not compensate and adjust for it.

Also did a dry compression test on all cylinders and here is what my gauge recorded. Hope I did it right.

Cyl#1(180) Cyl#3(175) Cyl#5(185) Cyl#7(185) Cyl#2(185) Cyl#4(180) Cyl#6(175) Cyl#8(185)

Anyway, moving forward. I ordered a TechMate Pro computer. Following the instructions, the boat has a MEFI4B interface and 322.7 hours as of this document.

I have 3 Codes showing and upon an erase reappear and I’m having a hard time finding anything that can point me in the direction needed from here.

• CODE 41 – active fault EST bypass failure Type 1
  • CODE 81 – active fault CAM signal fault
  • CODE 81 – active fault EST A fault
As I went through the additional information within the TechMate computer, it did see the Spark Advance working, but the CAM Retard never changed from 0.0 even when the rpms were increased to 1500 or so.

There “reduction” mode is OFF, so I’m pretty sure the engine is NOT in “Limp” mode. It does also reflect the Fuel Pump Output = ON and Engine Waring Light = ON so I’m not sure exactly what that means.

To add, I also ruled out the bad gas by running a small external fuel tank with siphon value during these tests. I’ve also wiggled the wiring harness and have seen no change in engines performance.

Last edited:

alldodge

Staff member
Need a engine serial number?
Have not herd of a Titan Performance Distributor but (being tongue and cheek here) must be a wiz bang better then the GM Dizzy

If your compression gauge is accurate then you have water or other liquid in the cylinders. Brand new motor would be 150, but could be just the gauge. Your readings being within 10% of each other you should be ok

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Does the Boat have a Water Separator Filter? Perhaps those 50 gallons were not just Gasoline.

Bondo

Staff member
Does the Boat have a Water Separator Filter? Perhaps those 50 gallons were not just Gasoline.
Ayuh,..... I'd pull it, 'n examine it's Contents for anything but clean fresh gasoline,.....

I had something similar happen to me a few years ago.
I have a 2005 GXI-E 5.7. We were cruising along when the motor starting back firing and sputtering. Shut it down and started it again and was able to idle back to the dock.
The tab broke off the ignition rotor. This put the motor into limp mod but the scanner said the limp mod was off.
Lots of headaches and lots of money later I found out the magic number for the distributor is
45* degrees +or- 5* when running.
The cam sensor needs to be on 45* or the computer doesn’t know we’re the timing is.
When you are installing the distributor to the 8 mark install the bracket and bolt for the distributor but don’t torque it down yet.
Start the motor look at your scanner turn the distributor to 45* and tighten the bolt down.
Hope this helps.

LamathVader

Recruit
Need a engine serial number?
Have not herd of a Titan Performance Distributor but (being tongue and cheek here) must be a wiz bang better then the GM Dizzy

If your compression gauge is accurate then you have water or other liquid in the cylinders. Brand new motor would be 150, but could be just the gauge. Your readings being within 10% of each other you should be ok
2005 Volvo Penta 5.7 GI-E (3869258).
The Titan Performance parts appear to be a better grade of component. Metal housing and the cap appears to be thicker plastic than the original GM or Amazon equivalent.
I may have performed the compression test incorrectly. I've seen a video where I should have opened the throttle to full. Maybe that's why the pressure is higher or my gauge is off.

5/24/2022 (Just got back from the lake)

Started working with a Marine Tech from Just Answers website. Per the recommendation of a tech, I took the boat to the lake and ran a Fuel High Pressure test under load, and it showed 55psi. I attempted WOT and could not plane and engine was missing horribly.

So, I figured I would explore the TechMate Pro options in more depth. The was a Power Balance Test with very interesting results. The first test produced a noticeable engine rpm loss when cylinders 1, 2, 5, 6, 7 & 8 were tested individually; however, no RPM loss when cylinders 3 & 4 were tested. Ok so maybe we are getting somewhere.

Turned off the engine and restarted. Performed the same exact test and now noticeable engine rpm loss from cylinders 1, 2, 3, 4, 7 & 8 were tested individually; however, no RPM loss when cylinders 5 & 6 were tested.

We repeated this test several times with the same fluctuating outcome between a pair cylinder until we conclude that every cylinder pair experiencing the NO RPM loss at some point after an engine restart.

Having performed this test repeatedly, I believe we are getting closer to a mechanical timing issue. Could the timing chain have jumped a tooth which is causing the distributor assembly to not line up correctly and throwing the ECM all out of whack?

Thoughts?

LamathVader

Recruit
I had something similar happen to me a few years ago.
I have a 2005 GXI-E 5.7. We were cruising along when the motor starting back firing and sputtering. Shut it down and started it again and was able to idle back to the dock.
The tab broke off the ignition rotor. This put the motor into limp mod but the scanner said the limp mod was off.
Lots of headaches and lots of money later I found out the magic number for the distributor is
45* degrees +or- 5* when running.
The cam sensor needs to be on 45* or the computer doesn’t know we’re the timing is.
When you are installing the distributor to the 8 mark install the bracket and bolt for the distributor but don’t torque it down yet.
Start the motor look at your scanner turn the distributor to 45* and tighten the bolt down.
Hope this helps.
So, I'm right there with you. Very similar situation happened to me the first year we had the boat and after about 40 hours or so. I also threw every maintenance a part at it, until the very last CAM Sensor was installed and it fired right up and ran incredible.
Fast forward to today and the engine asks the same way. Also to your point, my TechMate Pro does not show "power reduction \ limp mode" active.
I can read the spark advance, however the CAM Retard reads 0.0 no mater idle, under load or WOT.
Sorry for my ignorance, and idea what setting would show 45* degrees?
I've tried turning the distributor a bit an nothing changes until it goes so far the engine actually stalls.

alldodge

Staff member
Serial number doesn't show up
The motor didn't jump a tooth, it sounds like timing is not set correctly or there is an issue with the crank or cam sensor. The Bulletin shows how to make a timing tool to get it exact

Attachments

• Bul 2011 11R2 HVS clocking.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 13
So, I'm right there with you. Very similar situation happened to me the first year we had the boat and after about 40 hours or so. I also threw every maintenance a part at it, until the very last CAM Sensor was installed and it fired right up and ran incredible.
Fast forward to today and the engine asks the same way. Also to your point, my TechMate Pro does not show "power reduction \ limp mode" active.
I can read the spark advance, however the CAM Retard reads 0.0 no mater idle, under load or WOT.
Sorry for my ignorance, and idea what setting would show 45* degrees?
I've tried turning the distributor a bit an nothing changes until it goes so far the engine actually stalls.
You said you replaced the cam sensor.
Maybe you got a bad sensor. When I was trying to figure what was wrong with my motor I replaced lots of sensor. I thought I would save some money and buy parts off eBay.
Turns out they were miss labeled or really old stock. Really important with these motors to get stock Volvo parts.
The 45* is for the distributor. The cam sensor needs to read 45* or the motor will not run.
Maybe check the wires and the plug to the sensor. They could be corroded.