2005 VP 5.0Gxi 2500-3000rpm max. Low pressure Pump 0 psi

320Busdriver

Cadet
Morning.

What was installed is a standard plug with the proper 0.060-inch gap (R44LTS6).

If my information is correct on the following plug, what is now installed is platinum (longer life than standard) with an improper 0.050-inch gap (RS12PYP).

For the 5.0GXi series, the correct plug kit is 21467472 (3858996). Crosses to NGK TR55IX, ACD 41-993, etc. Iridium (longest life). Follow what @QBhoy posted in No. 17.
Hi and thanks..would you mind providing your preferred way of determining what cross referenced parts are suitable for my engine. Thanks

Nashville

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi and thanks..would you mind providing your preferred way of determining what cross referenced parts are suitable for my engine. Thanks
Volvo Penta Publication No. 7744439, Quick Reference Guide . It’s a large file and I don’t know how to post. PM an email address and I’ll forward. I’ve not done so, but I’m guessing if searched on Yahoo or Google it can be found and downloaded. Regarding fluids, plugs and belts, created a matrix over time that’s updated as new information becomes known and is verified.

320Busdriver

Cadet
Thanks I was able to find that VP guide online. I am more interested in how you go about finding the cross referenced plugs for example.

I tested the motor on the lake again yesterday and while I am now able to attain 5000 rpm at FT I am finding that if I try to go to full power while leaving the dock area that it surges when it is cold. After running for several minutes at higher power settings the surging seems to go away completely. I have yet to change out the wires and will do so, but maybe these new plugs with a slightly narrower gap are causing this. Any ideas?

Nashville

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks I was able to find that VP guide online. I am more interested in how you go about finding the cross referenced plugs for example.

I tested the motor on the lake again yesterday and while I am now able to attain 5000 rpm at FT I am finding that if I try to go to full power while leaving the dock area that it surges when it is cold. After running for several minutes at higher power settings the surging seems to go away completely. I have yet to change out the wires and will do so, but maybe these new plugs with a slightly narrower gap are causing this. Any ideas?
Yes, the wrong gap can cause surging. Whether that’s the case here, I cannot say because I’ve never put 0.50 gap in that motor. Regarding wires, suggest checking for cracks and checks first, then resistance.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral

No gap to adjust if it’s the right iridium plugs. Other than that…I’d say that when these are cold, they over fuel until they warm up. Always good to let her come up to temp first. Or it could be an issue with the idle air control valve. Of course…no need to mention the biggest issue of all wkth these…the famous Diz cap issue.

320Busdriver

Cadet
Ok will be buying a set of iridium NGK plugs

Which is correct 5599 or tr55IX or does it even matter.
Thanks