2005 Mercury 50 bogs with quick push to wide open throttle

Joseph10

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Thread starter
Joined
Feb 28, 2009
Messages
76
All,
I was hoping someone could help me determine my problem. I have a low-hour 2005 Mercury 50 3 cylinder 2 stroke on my Bass Tracker.

It runs great, except when I quickly go from idle to wide open. If I ease it to wide open, no problems. I see no issue with performance except for this problem.

A friend of mine at work suggested replacing the diaphram in the fuel pump that is located on the side of the engine.

When I was poking around on it this weekend, I also noticed a white fuel filter between the fuel pump box and the carburators. I thought that might be a culprit as well.

I pulled all the plugs and they all look great - no fouling.

I guess it could also be the carburators being clogged. However, I would think that would affect it at wide-open at all times. I also noticed that the primer ball is staying hard, which is something to check off the list.

The boat does sit up quite a bit (could have been 4-5 months over the winter), since I have to work so much, but I do use Stabil at all times. I do try to run it with muffs for 20 min or so every 2 months if I am not able to get to the lake.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Joseph
 

Joseph10

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Thread starter
Joined
Feb 28, 2009
Messages
76
Re: 2005 Mercury 50 bogs with quick push to wide open throttle

bump
 

Joseph10

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Thread starter
Joined
Feb 28, 2009
Messages
76
Re: 2005 Mercury 50 bogs with quick push to wide open throttle

All, any comments would be greatly appreciated. :)
 

Jeff Lindquist

Seaman Apprentice
Joined
May 19, 2011
Messages
41
Re: 2005 Mercury 50 bogs with quick push to wide open throttle

same issues with my 4 cyl 1982 80 hp mariner. new diaphragm and rebuilt fuel line from tank. new ball, new fittings, etc. tank test went well last night but still have to lake test. i owuld think you are drawing air somewhere after the ball then. (diaphragm, fuel line from motor shroud quickconnect to fuel inlet on fuel pump, fuel pump to carbs) However, i have already done my carbs so don't eliminate that as a suspect. kits are cheap, and float drop level is very specific. mine is 11/16" exactly, no more. is there a strong fuel smell?
 
Top