2005 Larson Senza Gas Smell

MRKG

Cadet
Hello,
My new/used Larson has a strong gas smell coming from middle storage compartment and faint odor in engine compartment. Boats covered in approx 80 degree heat. No evidence of leaks or fuel in bilge. Has a 4 Barrel Holly Carb. Can it be build up? Searched forum and coming up with everything from going to blow up to normal build up. Engine area on these boats are not vented very well. Thanks!

insttech1

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 2005 Larson Senza Gas Smell

Have you pulled the operator's manual from Larson to see if you're supposed to be running the blower any time the engine is running?
Or are you only supposed to run it for xxx amounts of minutes before/after every startup?

Does your blower work?

It all depends on the boat and venting.

If it's actually a gas leak, yes you have an issue.

If it's "warm engine" smell coupled with stale air and some nasty water that is left because it isn't being drained from the bilge, or building up in the ski locker below the drain line (like mine does) then that can be rather normal.

I have forced-air vents built into my hull ('99 Regal bowrider); the engine compartment has some engine odor, but doesn't stink.

My ski locker, however, can smell nasty after a fishing trip, getting covered, and then baking for a day or two, even without getting water in it from kids dripping all over the place. And some air from the engine compartment makes its way up there, which can make it even worse. But it smells more like stale exhaust, and none of it smells like fresh gas.

Find out what your manual says about the blower; some boats need them more than others.

500dollar744ti

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I don't know about strong gas smell but mine has a faint fuel odor when removing the cover after sitting in the sun. I always assumed the fuel expands in the tank, some fumes get pushed out and they don't fully vacate until I remove the cover.

Is your fuel tank vent under the covered area? If it is then that could account for the odor.

MRKG

Cadet

Boats real clean with nothing in the bilge. Says to tun it 4 minutes. Blower works fine and the smell lessons when ventilated. The lines are in great shape. Cant find any leak. The guy I bought it from had it winterized (Full tank of gas) for High Alititude. The storage compartment vent hole is right next to fuel tank where the smell is the strongest. The cover does cover the rear vent holes. Going to leave it uncovered to see if the smell lightens up. Cant find any leaks. Thanks!

insttech1

Petty Officer 1st Class

You didn't mention the condition when this happens:
All the time during storage? (maybe vapors/small fuel leak)
Right after use? (maybe normal)
Is it truly gas, or "warm engine" smell?
Try venting for five minutes after shutdown and before installing cover.

If you cover it immediately after use, with the engine still warm, some fumes will stay in the boat.
You might want to uncover it for 1/2 hour when you get home, or is it always on the water?

You may also want to leave it stored with the storage locker open, and more air can get out of the vents of the cover itself, if it has some.

There are also vents (powered and unpowered) that you can buy for your boat cover that will air it out during storage.

MRKG

Cadet

Only had the boat three weeks, with one being at the mechanics for new bellows, updated water pumps (Had the Volvo metal to plastic water pump). When I pull the cover off its a slight vapor smell. The engine compartment has a vapor smell thats not to strong. The middle compartment is the issue. Mechanic went over the fuel lines, and connections and so did I. Great shape. Maybe some fuel spilled during maintanence. Maybe the Holly Four Barrell seeping a little vapor to due reving. Ran finger along bilge and no gas smell. This is my first inboard I have owned. The last four have been outboards. Ventilating and blowing the heck out of it. Thanks for your help.