2005 60hp-Problem Child

I am trying to help my son-in-law with his new to him 2005 60hp Johnson 4 stroke with FI. It has a starting problem, the first problem I found was the air pickup hose for the CCV was pinched completely under the hood, causing serious crankcase vacuum and seizing of the mechanical lift fuel pump. We finally found it and solved that part of hard start. We now have another irregular problem(s). You can start it all day long at home on earmuffs, get it to the lake and it is 15 minutes of doubt if it will light up-once running it runs great-but eventually will quit sometime over the next hour or three of run time- and then 15 minutes or so of doubt till it lights up again. He is not a strong water person so gets pretty nervous with this unreliable piece of work.
I'm thinking possible Cam Shaft Position Sensor, it would explain irregular failure. Of course every visit to dealer ends with dealer touching boat and it lights up immediately and they can't find anything wrong-for a couple hundred dollars each trip. They misdiagnosed the pinched air intake hose and had called problem flat camshaft lobe. There are not a lot of dealers to choose from.
Any insight of where we should look next? How to check and rule out CCPS?

clanton

Rear Admiral
Re: 2005 60hp-Problem Child

Your best direction is OEM manual. and multimeter with Dva adapter. Visual inspection of all sensors, sometimes the screws come loose. From what you said cold hard start in water, I would check the engine compression, and fuel pressure to start. I think the cam problem was for the early motors. I can help with some testing and specs, but I be gone for a week leaving in the morning. There is other poster that will probley check, and he works on a lot of these. I`m about done with all mechanical things, looking for different hobby.

clanton

Rear Admiral
Re: 2005 60hp-Problem Child

I`m back, if you need some specs.