2005 175 Evinrudes

FreeBeeTony

Captain
Recently installed a pair of new to me '05 175 Evinrudes.
Launched boat, started engines w/ no problems, idled @ 650RPM after warm-up.
Backed away from the ramp and was impressed with how well the engines idled and spun the boat when the engines were shifted in opposite directions.
After underway in a no wake zone @ ~ 1000 RPM the port engine started to fluctuate in RPM (1000-1500RPM), seemed to smoke a bit also, thought because it was the 1st run w/ a load?
After exiting the no wake zone, I attempted to throttle up, and the port engine would not go above ~2500RPM, seemed like it wanted to but couldn't.
No lights/horns or anything.
Got to the slip, set the lines and left.
Was just thinking maybe I could have tried pumping the bulb?

Looking for some suggestions........hoping it's something stupid.
The stb engine seemed to run great!
Checked static and dynamic tests w/ Diag Software, seems to react accordingly.
Checked the TPS Sensor, 0.40V @ Idle position, ~4.0V at WOT (using Diag Software, engine not running)
Hearing it could possibly be the Lift Pump...Tested and is steady @ 7PSI when problem is present.
Thinking it may be the high pressure pump but it doesn't have the Schrader Valve.
Any/all suggestions welcome.

Crosbyman

Vice Admiral
btw did your check the EMM lights themselves ?? are any ON while the engine runs...poorly At Key ON all lights should light up and then go off

do you see any remaining ON at KEY ON ??? (EV diag. should have flagged those)
if no faults pop on EV diag, no lights come on the TACH or EMM
several issues can bog it down which the EMM can't" sense" like
injector mechanical issues , dirty injectors,

Fuel is fresh ??? tried using a shot of EV Engine cleaner (cheap fix maybe :)

one sneaky critter is the VST conical filter not shown on 2005 diagrams.....

it can be clogged from soft fuel line debris with age and the EMM would not know.
VST nipples are very easy to crack PROCEED WITH CAUTION if you plan to inspect this $2 part which blocks fuel flow returning from the injectors !!

Attachments

• vst -fuel flow.JPG
    vst -fuel flow.JPG
    100.2 KB · Views: 4
  • vst filter.JPG
    vst filter.JPG
    47 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
you may want to post on the ETEC owners board where ETEC owners and experienced service folks can pitch in. no offense to anyone.

The site has a good search utility also :)
Pretty sure 175 HP E-tec wasn't released until 2006-2007 model year
A 2005 model would be FICHT

Crosbyman

Vice Admiral
True... !!! good eye the serial starts with F .... yet same basic technology concept
similar fault codes and all.

ETEC board will not be answering questions on FICHT but the search utility may be usefull to some extent . the same EV diag works on both ETECs and FICHT

the service manual overlaps both FICHT and ETEC of that period .

my 75hp 2005 is ETEC

Last edited:

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
FICHT isn't an Operator Friendly design. Don't see many of them around anymore. Maybe they are being recycled as Anchors. I had one of them, and even though the Powerhead was replaced by OMC as a Precaution, I got rid of it with 40 hrs on it, and it already had, as the Mechanic said "Neat Little Score" on one of the Cylinders

Crosbyman

Vice Admiral
FICHT isn't an Operator Friendly design. Don't see many of them around anymore. Maybe they are being recycled as Anchors. I had one of them, and even though the Powerhead was replaced by OMC as a Precaution, I got rid of it with 40 hrs on it, and it already had, as the Mechanic said "Neat Little Score" on one of the Cylinders

you are going to hurt lot of feelings....some folks still love their hard to kill FICHT :)

FreeBeeTony

Captain
After initial launch I determined my port HP Fuel pump was bad, I disassembled the VST (which was beyond dirty), cleaned it well and replaced the screen on the injector line and HP fuel pump. Costs were <$100.
Now both engines are running very well, so far I am pleased w/ my purchase.