2004 Volvo Penta 3.0 manifold and riser replacement

Bad Pete

Seaman Apprentice
Ok I won't hijack an old thread, I posted on the old one because it was relatively recent. So anyway here it goes again.

I just bought a 2004 Glastron with a Volvo Penta 3.0. Its been down here in the south (NC). First owner used it in fresh water, second owner used it in salt for the last 4 years only about 60 hours or so. Never stored in salt water on a trailer covered. No visible problems with manifold and riser. However, given its age several people said that the manifold and riser should be replaced. Thoughts? I'm taking it to VT and leaving it there so good winterization will be a key. Replace or leave it alone?

BTW I have not taken the manifold riser off to inspect, if I did I would need new gaskets anyway. Seems like a good idea to replace if I have it apart. Money is not a big issue. How long does these manifolds/risers last anyway? Seems like a big old hunk of metal.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
you need to investigate IF you have a problem before you throw money at it.

Scott06

Vice Admiral
ok I'll probably take off the riser and inspect and go from there I have some time before I put it in the water this summer
I think typically 5 or so years in salt for manifolds and risers, fresh water they last the life of the boat if winterized. i think your plan of takingoff the elbow/riser is sound. See how bad it looks then you can make an educated decision.
you will find witha little basic maintenance 3.0 s are very reliable. New to you boat that age i would replace impeller and inspect bellows before splashing it in the spring

Bad Pete

Seaman Apprentice
I think typically 5 or so years in salt for manifolds and risers, fresh water they last the life of the boat if winterized. i think your plan of takingoff the elbow/riser is sound. See how bad it looks then you can make an educated decision.
you will find with a little basic maintenance 3.0 s are very reliable. New to you boat that age i would replace impeller and inspect bellows before splashing it in the spring
thanks the previous owner who I trust (Fire Chief) replaced the bellows and impeller in the last year. He had it in salt for only about 60 hrs or so over the last 4 years, original owner had it on a lake. Good to hear it is reliable it will spend the rest of its life on a lake. I may also replace the thermostat, its never been replaced.

Scott06

Vice Admiral
thanks the previous owner who I trust (Fire Chief) replaced the bellows and impeller in the last year. He had it in salt for only about 60 hrs or so over the last 4 years, original owner had it on a lake. Good to hear it is reliable it will spend the rest of its life on a lake. I may also replace the thermostat, its never been replaced.
Yeah 3.0 s are tough, just not powerful. For the amount of time the 3.0 in my old boat spent above 4 k rpm I’m surprised it lasted 25 years. Used to beat the snot out of it tubing and skiing with the kids. Id put like $60 bucks of gas in it go all weekend…

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Before you take it apart, just buy a new elbow to manifold gasket, if the parts are in good shape and just need some resurfacing to seal, you can do that yourself (mill bastard file, no rotary tools) and put it back together. 60 hrs in salt isn't that much, I used to run mine 5-6 seasons and never had a failure here in salt. But do an inspection for sure, if you see rust trails emanating from the joint between the manifold and elbow then for sure it's time to inspect. Because if you see evidence of leaks on the outside it could also be leaking on the inside which causes engine damage.